Chapter 19

Since I'm procrastinating on working on a paper for one of my classes, I was able to complete Chapter 19! So here it is in all it's unedited glory. Hope you enjoy :]

Chapter 19

Can I kiss you now? The words echo in my head and the rest of everything disappears. At least it seems to. I cannot focus on anything else. I look into his sea-green eyes that stare back into mine, patiently waiting. Because I can say no. I can refuse this. He's not forcing it at all. I don't even think he'll be mad if I push away from him right now. Maybe a little disappointed, but not angry with me. I can see it in his eyes.

My tongue darts out, wetting my lips.

His eyes glance away from my eyes and focus briefly on my mouth. My gaze falls to his lips as well. Memories of the way they felt the last time he kissed me play through my mind. I know first hand that they're as soft as they look. And a part of me — a big part of me, wants to be reminded exactly how they feel.

It's stupid.

It's irrational.

It doesn't make a bit of sense.

Getting close to be people is... pointless. I'm sure of that now more than ever. After what happened with Birdie, it doesn't make sense to fall for anyone in anyway. It isn't wise to let myself think of Braces, Atlas, Squirrel, or Bambi as my family. To try to protect them in a world that is nearly impossible. Losing any of them in the way we lost Birdie will be too much. But Hunter, I think, has already ended up in this fold. He's already here. He's a part of us.

I force my lungs to drag in a breath.

I don't even like people. I don't like to touch them or let them in my space. I certainly don't have desires to kiss them.

Except Hunter.

Instead of making me feel closed in and anxious, when he held my hand I felt safe. And the way he kissed me so softly it was barely there. It shocked me and made my heart gallop, but I didn't feel the need to shove him away or scream.

Pulling my gaze back to his, I slowly nod my head once.

I feel rather than see Hunter's smile as his lips lower onto mine unhurriedly and deliberately, still giving me time to change my mind. I gasp involuntarily when his lips press into mine completely either from the tingling sensation running through my body accompanying the touch or from sheer lack of oxygen. Hunter's hand slides from my cheek back until his fingers to tangled in my mess of hair while his other arms snakes around my waist slowly, pulling me closer to him.

My lips relax and fumble to keep up with the kiss that doesn't come very naturally for me. I don't think he minds taking the lead though. His lips slowly move against mine in a sensual way that sends chills down my spine and has my body shivering in his arms. He groans into the kiss and sweeps his tongue along the seam of my lips.

"Everyone good up there?" Braces deep voice carries up the stairs.

Braces footsteps pound up the hardwood stairs as he comes to check on us. Doused with reality, I jump away from Hunter at the reminder that we're not really alone and that we're not really safe. The reminder that this wasn't a good idea. Hunter's brow pulls together confused over my sudden coldness.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "That was a mistake."

Hunter opens his mouth to say something but stops.

"I heard noises," Braces says appearing in the doorway. "Would've come sooner, but there were three locked in the pantry downstairs."

"There were two in here," Hunter explains. "They got the jump on me and the bookshelf tipped. All good though."