Chapter Two: MacIteag Castle

Ren sat on the bench for some time. She knew that she had to go back to the castle; had to understand. Yet she felt so overwhelmed by the revelation of magic existing that she didn't think her legs would hold her. No one had bothered her since Gerwin and Gregor, although she caught a few people giving her curious glances.

When she got to her feet, Ren's stomach growled. She hadn't eaten anything since dinner the previous day, and it was now well past noon. She considered getting food at the market, but the idea of venturing back near the cluster of magical people – fairies? – was too much for her anxious insides. At least the people at the castle hadn't had wings or scales. She would ask for food when she got back.

When Ren emerged from the forest and saw the castle again, she had to admit that it was impressive. The fountain in front of the castle contained a carved marble sculpture of a large, feathered, winged creature with water pouring out of its mouth. Ren supposed it was a dragon, which gave her a touch of trepidation. Dragons couldn't be real, could they?

Behind the fountain, the castle was all smooth gray limestone walls, gridded windows, and turrets, with intricate designs carved into the stonework along each level. A clock tower with golden roman numerals imposed on a royal blue background rose over the main entrance. Carved over the doors, a coat of arms featured a dragon similar to the one in the fountain, surrounded by a border of feathers and thistles. In front of the doors stood Samuel. As she walked up, he dipped his head to her.

"Princess Kerenza. The prince and Mrs. Shaw will be pleased you have returned."

"Please, call me Ren. Are you the only guard, Samuel?" She thought it odd she had seen no others.

"No, your highness, I am not the only one, but we are understaffed, no doubt," Samuel said. Ren stored this piece of information as Samuel opened the door for her. He led her up several flights of stairs to Trevonna's office and knocked. Trevonna told them to enter. Samuel swung the door open and Ren stepped over the threshold into a spacious room lined with bookcases. Two tall windows illuminated the room from behind the desk, which was the size of a dining table, wooden with legs carved to look as though they were covered in scales. Trevonna stood up as Ren entered.

"Well, Princess Kerenza – I mean Ren. I admit I was unsure whether you would return." "I didn't plan to return," Ren said, "but I, um, I saw the village when I left, and I saw things – people – well, I don't know what I saw, but it seemed like maybe you were telling the truth about the magic." She fidgeted as she stood before the desk. She wanted the truth, but she was still wary of Trevonna.

"I see," Trevonna said. "Of course, we should have realized showing you magic would have been the best way to explain it. That was our mistake." She looked at Samuel, who was still standing in the doorway. "Could you fetch Laric, please, Samuel?"

Samuel nodded and left, returning moments later with Laric. Laric had abandoned his suit jacket and loosened his tie, but he smiled when he saw Ren. Trevonna invited them to sit in the upholstered chairs in front of the desk as she sat behind it, making Ren feel like she and Laric were poorly-behaved children who had been brought to the principal's office. Trevonna glanced up at Samuel one more time. "Could you go to the kitchens and see if they can find Ren something to eat? We've done a poor job of taking care of our guest." Ren smiled at her, grateful she had not had to ask.

Trevonna studied them over her spectacles. "Ren encountered some of the fairies in the village, and given the proof of magic, she has decided to give us another chance to explain."

Laric looked at Ren, his dark blue eyes intense. "Thank you, Ren. I promise we can work this out. You'll see how special this place is. How special you are." Ren felt a twinge of nerves in her stomach. She didn't like to think of herself as special. Blending in had always been her goal.