Choices Made

She stops looking for him after the third month. She stops missing him after the fourth.

She stops thinking about him every single moment after the fifth. Births happen, Bajo has another son who turned out as frail and dark haired as his mouther. He'd cried tears of joy. Gen Anda's been behaving strangely recently. Gina's baby was born last month, late, but healthy, sturdy little girl, her father's form and her mothers coloring. Soto had no words for it.

Gina watches her closely lately, Ainsley can't avoid her prying eyes as much as she wants to because now that Gina isn't bulging and heavy and about to explode, the woman's taken it upon herself to come to the Apothecary nearly everyday - to check on Gen Anda and his aching joints, she always teased.

Ainsley didn't believe her for a moment. Because then she'd look at her and- and she knew - Ainsley knows what Gina would think. That she was suffering because of Kai. But she wasn't. Why would she? There's no reason to be upset. He'd left to do his job. She didn't see any reason why she should be sad or missing him. She wasn't some love-struck fool who didn't understand sacrifice and hard work.

Winter would come. The villagers were tittering about; he was due back a month ago. Ainsley doesn't worry about it, even when talk revolves around her and her most recent marriage proposal. Now people think she would be more pliable, that she would bend to loneliness and desperation and become a proper wife. Amu doesn't force her to answer. But - but it makes her feel ill - to think that they were waiting for Kai to not be hear, to leave - as if he was some sort of obstacle. . .

She finds it humorous really, the fact that they were so sure there was something between them - and here she was having wished, for once, that their stories were true, when in reality - nothing of the sort had happened.

She'd turned down the next brave fool flat.

She had work to do.

'

'

"It's yours whether you like it or not."

Ainsley stares at the wrinkled piece of paper, ownership of the towns apothecary and her name was on it. Gem Anda had officially, according to the lower village's main documents, retired from his post as their doctor and surgeon. It was hers now.

Ainsley didn't know if she wanted to cry or accept it. Her eyes flicker up to Gen Anda who is pointedly not looking at her.

Gina - who sits there at the inside table, outside was starting to frost - with a cup of herbal tea steaming, looks at her with a smile. "Well? Don't you have some sort of speech to give Ma Cheri?" She grins and sips her tea.

"I - but - but you- I thought you said you wouldn't - "

"Leave this place until I died, and even then, I'll still be right across the road in the churches' cemetery, honestly girl - you behave as if I - "

His words are cut off when she launches herself at him, throwing her arms around her teacher for all she's worth because without him and his surly belief in breaking standards and spitting in society's face, she would never have been allowed to become who she was.

"Thank you. Thank you so much for - for everything." She won't cry, not for this, but her voice wobbles a bit as he pats her back slowly.

Gina's grin is luminescence. "Why Gen Anda, that isn't mist in your eyes is it?"

Ainsley pulls back when the man grunts. "Don't' be foolish." He scoffs and Ainsley catches him dabbing at his eyes discreetly as he turns away. "I would never, I don't' have time for such foolish sentiments as - "