04 | CRY

04 | CRY

I HEARD OTHERS CRY,

WITH A BLEEDING HEART.

"Hello, there. Welcome to Teen Helpline. Feel free to discuss your problems and share your thoughts with us. We are here to help you through your problems," I droned, keeping my loudness in check while staring at the faded watermelon sticker on the walls of my cubicle.

"U-Uh, I am not sure...," the person on the other line trailed off, feeling the well-placed anxiety of disclosing something to a stranger.

"Take your time." I kept my voice polite and as supportive as I could. Going through the volunteering training, the first thing we learned was patience. Anyone, who genuinely needed help, needed those seconds ticking in our clocks. They needed the assurance that they weren't a burden on someone by unloading the weight of their thoughts.

So, I gave him the time he needed. For right at that moment, I had plenty of it.

I kicked my feet up against the empty chair beside me as I tangled my finger in the chord of the bubblegum pink telephone. The device was nothing less than a relic, having an old school design instead of the newer sleek ones.

Considering the bare minimum public grant the helpline got, the archaic thing was a luxury too.

As the silence on the other side prolonged, I reached for the styrofoam coffee cup. Pushing the receiver away from my face, I took a quick gulp of the fiery liquid, feeling the bitterness slide down my throat. Had I not been accustomed to the scalding temperature, I would have been singing hashfshahshf with my hands waving wildly by now.

Placing the receiver back to the ear, it did not surprise me to hear the bated silence. "Hello?" I asked, just in case.

"Yeah. Yes-s, I was." He paused, taking in a ragged breath. "I think I am gay." He blurted, finally gathering the courage to speak those words.

Involuntarily a smile curved across my lips. "Well, welcome to the LGBTQ+ family then!" My voice was filled with genuine happiness as I said those words. Hearing the distinct cough from the other side of the room, I lower my voice a bit.

"U-uh, thanks?" he said awkwardly, sounding a bit surprised by my reaction. For a moment, it disheartened me that he was expecting backlash for his confession. "I wanted to ask, h-how should I tell my parents. I don't think they would like me to be gay."

"It's not about what your parents like for you. It is about who you are," I said, scratching the sticker off the wall. Some of the old, sticky adhesive got stuck under my nails, making me frown. "If you are worried about what your parents' reaction might be, I suggest you start with talking about the topic. Maybe try to gauge their views on nature's diversity. After that, when you feel comfortable, take the step," I continued.