PROLOGUE | HEAVEN

PROLOGUE | HEAVEN

WATCH THE HEAVEN SMILE,

AS IT TAKES YOU AWAY.

"The sky is blue," I spoke at the head of the altar. Standing on the podium, I glared at the said sky. My eyes refused to meet faces that were staring at me, waiting in anticipation.

I simply refused to dwell in their empty pitiful stares. Refusing to analyze my parents' grief and my best friend's absence. Most of all, I refused to see my twin's dead body.

"And you know what that means? That heavens are happy to take her away." A mirthless smile inched up my face, with soulful tears flowing from my cheeks.

"Lily might have shared my face, but she still was the beautiful one. Perfect smile. Perfect face. Perfect personality. But that's the fucking thing, isn't it?" A harsh scoff tumbled from my lips. With all the anger I felt and resentment I held for myself, I looked away from the gliding clouds to meet their eyes.

Many held onto my every word, while my crude language appalled others on such an occasion. It was a eulogy, after all. Heartfelt flowery words and anecdotes of the dead. As expected, my parents fell into the second category. But that didn't stop the words powered by my grief from coming out.

"She was way too perfect. Way too fucking perfect to be true. That's why we couldn't see that she was hurting. Hurting so much that she couldn't live anymore." Guilt made me choke on my words with a sob.

"So, we failed her," I said, my words trembling. "Fooling ourselves to think that we loved her, but ignoring her pain. That is why the heavens are happy to take her away. After all, she was a beautiful... beautiful soul, and we didn't deserve her."

___

Please leave your thoughts down below in the comments. They help me improve and motivate me.

Thank you for reading!

follow - comment - vote

instagram/twitter adairx_