13 | CRYSTAL

13 | CRYSTAL

MY HEART'S LIKE A CRYSTAL,

BEAUTIFUL BUT EASILY SHATTERED.

I drummed my fingers against the wheel, staring at the house in front of me long enough to be considered a criminal act. It was the second time in my life when the Wilkins' residence intimidated me so much.

First being when Lily died.

The memory of that day was still crystal clear in my head. My last moments with Lily were something I regretted to the very core. I wished I had told that I loved her instead of arguing with her. At least that way, she would have known that I loved her in her last moments. If that had been the case, then maybe she would have been here today.

That day, I lost Lily. And now, slowly but steadily, I was losing Maya too. I couldn't let that happen.

With those words, I hyped myself to finally talk to Maya. Let her know what I felt and listen to what she felt. At the end of the day, I wanted to salvage what was left of our friendship and rebuild the bridge between us.

Getting out of the car, I walked up to the front door. Just before I could press the bell, the door swung open. My eyes met startled brown ones, surprising me a bit. Quickly, I took a step back and stared at the situation in front of me.

While there were a thousand scenarios in my head about Maya, some of them more concerning than others, never did I ever consider another girl in the equation. A girl I was sure that I knew from somewhere but couldn't remember. Her face was familiar.

"Link?" Maya was the first one to speak up, breaking the silence. It also made me realize I was stupidly staring at the said girl.

Clearing my throat, I met Maya's eyes. Scratching the back of my neck, I let my eyes flicker to the other girl before returning to Maya's. "Sorry for interrupting. I'll return later."

I chickened out. Just like that.

But before I could take a step back into my cowardly state, the other girl spoke up. "Oh, you don't have to'!" Her voice was high, and her words hurried. "I was just leaving. You can talk to Maya."

With that, she side-stepped me and dashed down the steps. Looking over her shoulder, she gave a bright smile. It took me a moment to realize that Maya was on the receiving end of it. "I'll see you later at school."

Maya, who till now had been silently observing the scene in front of her, straightened in her position. "Are you sure you don't want me to drop you off?"

I don't know why, but the question made my heart twinge. Ok. Fuck it. I knew why those words hurt. While it was irrational to jump to such a conclusion, the thought that Maya was avoiding my company had taken seed in my mind. Wonders what insecurity did to your mind.