Chapter 6: Hell Dogs

Those pups looked like they wanted to eat my soul the way they kept staring at me. When I heard a low growl I froze in between them. One stalked in front of me baring its teeth while the other sat there with amusement on its face, utterly too human a response from a dog.

"Primer," Will warned, fully turning to the dog. Its reaction was instant; his head perked up and he turned and sat at my feet facing Will his tail even began to wag as he waited for instruction. Will pointed to the corner where the dog was before his heart-stopping approach. Primer then got up diligently and sat in his spot like nothing had happened. "Good boy," Will said aimlessly, patting the rabid dog's head. He pulled a biscuit from his pocket and handed it to me. "He might like you more." Putting my hand around that thing's muzzle was not on my to-do list, but if someone fed me I figured I might like them more too. Reluctantly I held the treat to the dog, which he snapped up with greed before liking my hand of the remnants.

"Good boy," I said wearily, patting his head slightly, then he smiled at me too before returning to guard the porch. I've only been here a few hours and I'm already losing it.

Will turned into the old house then directly into the kitchen on the right. Red cabinets lined the small space with a gas stove and crappy white dishwasher. A tiny sink was primed for messy dishes, and the beige counters were bare of anything but a jar of rice, and a few things of what I assume are sugar, flour, and salt.

"What would you like," he asks peering into the fridge.

"To go home." I pull out a chair from the wooden table in the corner of the tiny kitchen, slumping in it with an extra level of despair.

"Your options are grilled cheese or spaghetti, both with your choice of salad or fruit," he chuckled, peering innocently around the door at me with gray eyes. They were like ice and honestly I wish they'd just melt out of his head.

"What kind of fruit?"

"Hmmmmm. Strawberries, pineapple, and blackberries." My lips tilt upwards, Noah loves blackberries.

"Blackberries and grilled cheese." I try to keep my voice level, but I can't help the lightness that I feel thinking about my brother and his stupid games. His stupid games got you into this mess.

"Do you like bacon on your grilled cheese?" I looked at him dumbfounded.

"Is that a serious question? It's bacon, who wouldn't?" He softly chuckled again pulling out a few things and dropping a Tupperware container of blackberries in front of me. He moved the stove to cook as peeled off the plastic lid and savored the tart treat. The more I thought of Noah though, the more I began to see how strange this situation was.

"Will?" He turned his head slightly like it would help him listen better.

"Need something?" I need to go home, but that's beside the point.

"What is your job exactly? Like when you read the description, what exactly was it?" He put his head back towards the skillet and flipped the sandwich.

"I'm assuming you're asking if I knew it was a babysitting gig? Well, yes, I had an idea what I would be doing, but I never see kids under age 10 and I'm pretty well off. There are a few types of kids that make it difficult though." Difficult, as in they run away? I never thought about it as a large-scale thing, I guess this house says otherwise though. "There are perks to every job though. This one I get to meet new people and travel across the continent." Cross continent? He must be good at his job, there had to be more to it besides capture and watch. "Something on your mind?" The only thing that was on my mind was why I hadn't been using it. People can complain that they never see things, but that's never been me. I know when I'm being played. I know when my brother's made something that I can't win at. I know when things are right in front of my face, and there was one big thing that was glaring at me and I couldn't decipher it. I have no history to look back on, no numbers to predict, no logical reasoning for what's going to happen next, and all because I hadn't been paying attention. The sharp ring of glass on wood brought me back from the brink. Will looked at me curiously as he sat leaning back against his chair. I have to eat, make it normal. I wasn't hungry anymore but eating was the only way to get out of some conversation about my thoughts. If I wasn't so upset I would've enjoyed the grilled cheese. I allowed the saltiness to drown my shame as we sat there in silence. I finished the food quickly in hopes I'd be allowed to go up to the room and sort out my thoughts, make a plan in case things went south.

Will broke the silence with his smooth mature voice. "Elin, you look like you're about to faint." Nothing can get to you.

"I'm fine. Thank you for lunch." He eyed me suspiciously while he stood and walked out of the kitchen. He didn't seem mad, but he definitely didn't believe me. He came back with a pair of running shoes and set them into my lap.

"We're gonna start you on a running program. Starting now." I slipped on the shoes quickly, running the property would give me a better idea of escape routes. I was a little shocked when will handed me a leash that was connected to the dog that hadn't attacked me. Its long lean body was covered in liver-colored fur that made its black face stand out. If it wasn't wagging its tail and trying to lick my hand the thing would look like a dog from hell. "We'll jog, then stretch and then give these guys a workout," Will said, an impish smile fighting to take over his lips. Primer looked nicer, with a tanner coat sabeled with black, his face wasn't pure black either which made him appear kinder, even if I knew that wasn't the case. But that look Will gave me, I had a feeling I'd be sleeping when we got back.