Chapter 9: Normalish

"Elin, you need to go to bed."

"Leave me alone Noah," I groaned. "Lacrosse isn't till four."

"Who's Noah?" My eyes shot open to find Will kneeling beside the couch. Soft fabric brushed against my skin as I pushed off the couch, nothing like the cool leather couches at home. Bleach permanently tinted the air within the small house. Dim light painted the red wall, turning the room into some sort of hellscape. A fire crackled in the fireplace adding another orange light to the eerie room. The large window wall showed no stars and no moon, painting the world in an impenetrable black. It consumed everything, too dark even for my mind to pierce it.

"Elin, are you ok?" Something lurked in it... It didn't have glowing eyes or gleaming teeth to show you it was there, but I knew its presence; knew what lurked in the dark, because I was once part of it, or so I think. Maybe it was all a lie, but who knows anymore; lies are all I seem to deal in.

"I'm okay. May I go to my room?"

"That's probably best. I'll go get you clothes for tonight." Will carefully trotted into the basement as I made my way up to my room. My hands were starting to fidget from excess energy, our run had been shorter than usual and way too light for me to properly relax. We didn't swim either. I probably just slept for two hours as well. How was I able to do that? Will pushed through the door breaking me from whatever crash my mind was heading to. He had a hospital gown and new undergarments.

"Why a hospital gown?" Any break in routine put me on edge, especially now. Something was going to happen within the next twenty-four hours and there was no time to get out, no place to run to in this dark. Dogs would find me in hours and then who knows what could happen.

"I don't know. Whatever it is, though, it'll be fine."

"I'm not tired anymore." Will sighed as he laid down the gown and sat next to me on the bed. He reached for my shoulder, then made a fist and shoved it into his lap.

"I can get you something from Dr. Larson."

"I don't do drugs." An awkward silence fell over us both. He moved to leave when my voice squeaked out.

"Wait. Will you stay with me till I fall asleep?" His head tilted to the side in confusion. Oh, that was stupid, but it was the only way that I can rationalize how I fell asleep on the couch. It was classic Stockholms, but I really just wanted sleep.

"Yeah, lay down. I'll go change and be back." I rolled to my side and stared into the endless night. Something wanted in... It's probably just your imagination. The second person of my consciousness was a welcomed relief. I hadn't even told myself it was alright in what felt like forever. Will leaned against the door frame, clad in black shorts and a long sleeve shirt. "How do you want to do this," he asked calmly, never moving from his post.

"Just sit. Please?" It was almost a whisper, but he sat next to me on the bed and rubbed my arm. It felt so much like Noah, even down to the callouses that coated his hands. I let my eyes drift close and my brain throw me back home. I was sick and Noah was easing me to sleep while a fever consumed me, and that was the easiest I've fallen asleep since he took me.

My eyes cracked open to see dark unforgiving clouds rolling over the sky, it must have been early because the only people out were those with canines going for their daily run. Will was long gone, it's annoying how helpful he was. Annoying because it was an emotional response to trauma and stress: annoying because it attached me to this place, and annoying because I should be better than this. Noah was right, he always was but this time he'd been especially right. My emotions got in the way of everything. I couldn't keep my mouth shut, I couldn't dissect the frog in the science lab, I couldn't even stop myself from writing this stupid incriminating diary, and yet here I am. Footsteps came creaking up the steps, they weren't Will's so I quickly laid back down and pretend to sleep. I was never the best at pretending to sleep, but this time I was desperate.

Someone pushed slightly at my shoulder. I didn't budge though. I just wanted them to go away, but of course, they pushed a little harder. The hand felt feminine though, not like the burly man I expected from the way they came up the stairs. I turned to see Dr. Larson's red hair and solemn face in the early sunlight.

"You've got to get up. Will is making you breakfast." I nodded groggily, wiping the sleep from my eyes, maybe today would be normalish. 

I stepped into the kitchen to find will scrambling eggs and lightly chatting with someone in dark jeans and a black shirt. The floor squeaked under my foot, bringing both of their gazes down on me.

"Morning Elin," Will said easily, not caring about the stranger sitting at the table across from my seat. The man stood without much grace to shake my hand. "This is Conor Ward, he'll be staying here for a few days." I nodded slightly, taking up a place at the counter, away from this Conor character. Why would he be staying here? Will looked at me oddly when he noticed my new seat but didn't say anything as he laid eggs and sausage down in front of me. He fed Conor the other half, then went back to make himself more. He raised his eyebrow, silently questioning me, but I just shook my head. My paranoia didn't need to bother him. I guess we're not running though... A pout must have spread across my face because Will reached over to pull my chin up to look at him. "Do you want to talk about it?" I shook my head and went back to picking at my eggs. Why was this guy here, I really couldn't talk in front of him if I didn't know his purpose? Will moved back to his food, but his gaze never lingered long on it. I could just feel his concerned gaze burning into my head. He took his food and began talking to Conor again.

"Where'd you come from," Will started, opening up to his acquaintance.

"D.C. I was an LSM for my high school."

"LSM? Any good?" They weren't talking about anything super important, but I hadn't talked lacrosse with anyone, and I enjoyed listening.

"I took out this one kid from South Crest, supposedly the best in the county, probably the best part of my freshman year," he trailed off.

"How old are you," I know I know, don't get involved, but if this was the idiot that threw Noah, hands might start flying. He looked at me oddly before chuckling.

"I'm 18, just graduated," he smirked. The arrogance radiating off this guy was annoying, and he was the jack-off who tossed Noah.

"What are you training to be?"

"Well, I'm training to be like this guy," he whispered like he was talking to a child. Covering his mouth on one side, looking excited to be talking, I'm not a dang toddler.

"Will, can we take him on a run?" Maybe I was a tab bit enthusiastic, but I've been jammed up in the house too long. Conor eyed us both, he probably wasn't expecting that.

"Elin is a special case, running makes her happy, and keeps her calm. You'll have to adapt to the person in your care." He nodded, buying up Will's bit, he was probably right, but if it got this man on a trail with the hell dog known as Primer I was happy.

"So I'll be around, but you take her out. If she gets out of hand, handle it." I pulled the smirk from my face as I went to get my running shoes and a change of clothes. I heard Will murmur something like, 'make sure you don't hurt her, or she doesn't hurt herself," before leading Conor out to the porch. Oh dear, you forgot the big one, make sure she won't hurt you...