【 TWENTY-SEVEN 】

ᴛʀᴜᴇ ᴛᴏ ʜɪꜱ ᴡᴏʀᴅ, ᴏʙɪ-ᴡᴀɴ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴡᴀɪᴛɪɴɢ ᴏᴜᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀʟʟᴡᴀʏ. As I exited the room, hands shaking, I saw him there, leaning casually against the wall, looking down at the ground peacefully. He had a thoughtful expression on his face, as if thinking about something important and meaningful. He looked up when he heard me exit, a smile on his face, but when he noticed the look on my face, that smile disappeared immediately.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I shook my head. I was scared if I said it aloud, I'd start crying. And the last thing I wanted to do was break down into tears in front of Obi-Wan. It wasn't happening.

I began to walk away from him, but Obi-Wan grabbed my wrist, twirling me around so I was facing him. His grip was strong, and his eyes seemed to bore into mine, portraying a message. You're not leaving until you tell me what's wrong.

I swallowed, using my other hand to tuck my stringy hair behind my ear. "It's... um..."

"Emeré," Obi-Wan said seriously. "You can talk to me."

"He's sending me away," I said finally, the words spilling out uncontrollably. "I mean, not away. He's not letting me go back. He's keeping me here. He's keeping me and Kera on Naboo."

Obi-Wan's jaw dropped at once. "You-you're not coming back with us?"

I shook my head miserably, tears welling up in my eyes. I blinked hard, trying to force them down, but it didn't work. A tear spilled out of the corner of my eye, tracing its way down my now burning red cheek. "He says my power is too dangerous. That I need to learn how to control it before I come back. He says I need to learn how to step away from my attachments."

Obi-Wan's voice became soft. "Attachments?"

I broke my eyes from his gaze and looked down at his hand on my wrist, then back up at his face. Obi-Wan seemed to understand what I was getting at, and instantly dropped my hand. "Oh."

"I'm sorry," I said miserably. "Remember what you said that one day? When we fought those droids?"

He remembered. "'I like you, but I don't want to.'"

"Well, I like you, and I don't want to," I whispered. "I can't. If I ever want to go home... I can't, Obi-Wan."

"Because of your power," he sighed.

"I can't help it, Obi-Wan," I snapped back. "Believe me, if I had the chance to get rid of this ability and just be normal-"

"But what even is this ability?" He demanded. "What makes you so different from everyone else? What makes you so powerful, so special-"

"I don't know!" I thundered. "Believe me, if I knew, I would tell you!"

"But what can you do?" He demanded. "I saw what you did with that Sith Lord. What did you... how..."

"I wish I knew," was my only reply.

He stared at me, silent for a couple moments. "You got into his mind."

"Not on purpose."

"But you did." His eyes bored into mine, as if reading my soul. "Didn't you?"

I sighed, deep and hard. My exhale was slow, calming. "Yes."

"And it's not the first time." He cocked an eyebrow at me.

Curse Obi-Wan and his stupid intuition. Why did I continually get the feeling he knew me better than I knew myself?

Well, either way, I wasn't going to continue lying to him. I already felt awful enough as it was. I wish I would have just told him about it the day it happened, when we were talking over the com-link back on Tatooine. That would have made this so much easier.