Chapter - 16

CHASING THE MURDERER

Cold shivers passed down through our spines as Martha bluntly mentioned the name of F.I.B. 

We stared at each other's perplexed faces but finally gave in as we didn't see any better on our way. 

"Good!" Martha exclaimed, getting up from her seat and dialling a number on her phone. 

We sat there uneasily as she instructed someone to get there quickly. We were so numb that I hardly realized she forgot to tell the person our dorm address. 

Or maybe the person knew us! That would be the worst.

I prayed for it to end as fast as it could. My throbbed heart would no longer take any blow. But, reality does have a lot of surprises hidden in it. 

The door was knocked, and Martha approached to open it. She talked to the person at the door for a few minutes before letting him in. 

"Is everything alright?" A worried voice rang in my ears, and I felt that a cold breeze had just turned me to ice. 

His voice was so familiar. It could be no one other than…

"Evan here is from F.I.B. He was here for holidays but considering your situation, I think you should seek help from him." Martha was introduced, but I didn't raise my head. 

My heart was racing faster than it had ever been, plunging out of my chest. I'm pretty sure everyone in the room was able to hear it accelerating. 

Martha shared some other details too. And I could feel Grace and Hannah getting relaxed by the comfort Evan provided to them. However, in my case, I found myself drowning in the sweat of embarrassment. 

The boy I knew since childhood, the one who respected me the most. Is he a F.I.B. agent? And to top it off, he now knows I am a criminal.

What will he think about me? 

This is so messed up!

Silent tears started gushing down my eyes as I couldn't lift my head up. 

Suddenly, I felt a warm hand placed on my shoulder. Then, another hand lifted the bottom of my chin, letting me see the messy blonde man sitting in front of me on his knees. 

Correction: 

Not just any blonde man. HE WAS AN FBI AGENT!!!!

My heart leaped into my throat. Evan kept smiling at me dearly, his emerald eyes staring into mine.  

"Clean those tears of yours. I have something important to talk about." He instructed and got up. 

My gaze involuntarily followed his eyes. He turned towards Martha and nodded. In turn, she swiftly took Grace and Hannah with her, leaving Evan and me behind in my room. 

I was sitting on my bed, my hands clenching the border. Evan sat beside me. My head had again dropped down, and I was staring at the floor. Only this time, there were no tears. 

"Do you want some water?" He asked with the softest of voices I had ever heard. 

I turned my head left-right without uttering a word. He nodded understandably. 

"About what happened…" he began. 

"Evan?!" I murmured. "Please don't be mad at me." I don't know why I said that. 

He didn't even seem like he was mad at me or anyone. He was calm and patient, trying to comfort. My weird statement caught his attention too. So, he looked at me with surprise.