Chapter 1

Summer is finally here. Everything is green and alive. The summer breeze is warm and comforting to my skin. My senior year of High School is over and I am so thrilled to be out of that place. Every day I felt suffocated by its walls that seemed to tower over me. Unfortunately, now that school is over and summer has begun, my parents will be dragging me to the Lake House once again. When I was younger I enjoyed the Lake House, playing for hours in the sun running along the sandy shore. I didn’t have a care in the world. But being 17 now, I would rather stay at home and spend my summer with my friends. Being alone for two months with just my parents is not something that I look forward to.

        My mother and I have become distant, so being along with her for 2 months at the Lake House is going to be hard. I actually noticed the distance growing more and more which each passing year. I don’t understand what I have done to push her so far from me. I used to be able to tell her anything and everything. Now it seems that she is always too busy to even speak with me. It has made me distance myself from having any emotion towards the matter. I don’t want to feel the pain anymore of being rejected by my own mother. I have closed off my heart and I don’t plan on letting anyone else in. I have become especially cold after my break up with Derek. I will never be the same. The hole that he has burned into my heart will never be filled. I won’t allow it. The case that has formed over my heart is never to be broken. I keep the memory of the pain to remind myself that there is no such thing as love. It isn’t real. I have felt the cold stab of betrayal from Derek and being pushed away by my own Mother. I keep the pain in my memory so my heart doesn’t forget.

         The cherry on top is no cable, phone or internet. The only way to use my cell phone is by getting in our boat and paddling to the island in the middle of the lake. For some strange reason there is service there. If you go anywhere else around the lake your cell phone will be useless, but on this tiny island there is hope for communication to the outside world. My parents never allow me to bring any friends to ease my boredom. According to my Mother, Michelle, family time is the only thing that keeps our "bond" strong; allowing my friends to come would be a distraction.I have no idea how would she know, she doesn’t have any friends. She has pushed me so far from her so I don’t understand what “bond” she could be referring to. I sometimes feel like she is jealous at the fact that I have friends and she doesn't. She is constantly on my ass when I go out with them. Telling me that I don’t spend enough time with my family and friends are not as important. She barley speaks 5-6 words when I am home with her. I am a 17 year old girl, it’s impossible for me not to have friends. I may not have many but I do have a few that I would like to spend my summers with. My father, James, stays out of the arguments when they arise. I guess it’s easier not to fight with mom, then to endure the tongue lashing he would get for disagreeing.

                                                                ***

            Three days until we leave for the Lake House and mom is running around the house packing. I have already packed by bags and I refuse to help pack for a trip I don’t want to go on. As I am sitting in the kitchen eating a steaming hot bowl of chicken soup and I get the strong smell of dust and dirt. Oh no...The camping gear. When the camping gear is brought out it means she is almost done packing and the trip is right around the corner. Nausea hits my stomach as I think of the two months I have ahead of me. I turn my head and peek over my shoulder watching her pull out the oil lamps and outdoor cooking gear. Then she pulls out the two air mattresses that we use when my Grandparents come to visit. She throws them on our white couches and continues to dig in the closet under the stairs. Why would she want to take those? Were we going to be dragged on another "Outdoor Adventure", as if going to the Lake House wasn't enough.