Chapter 9

The Awakening

         Thunder rolls through the silent woods. I lie on my back in my bed awake as Travis lies sleeping beside me. It must be around 7am and I feel as if I have been awake all night long. I have fear growing inside me and my thoughts are racing so quickly that I cannot stop them. This is the day that we have all been dreading and I am not ready. Travis begins to stir next to me and I try to lie still as not to wake him. He rolls over and faces me, “Are you awake?” I look over to him and nod yes and then look back out the window. He scoots up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist breathing in deeply on the back of my neck. Today his touch brings no comfort. The sun is blocked from the dark grey clouds that completely cover the sky and the warm summer breeze has turned freezing and the house cold. “Niki, are you worried?” I roll over to face Travis and I can’t help but get annoyed at his question, “Of course I am worried aren’t you?” He rubs the sleep from his eyes and looks back at me. “Of course I am Niki but I am not going to let it ruin our day. There is nothing that we can do now other than wait for the the awakening.” How can he be so calm about everything? I feel like my skin is crawling and the only thing I want to do right now is run far away. He begins to runs his hand through my hair and then places his open palm on the side of my face. “Happy Birthday Baby.” He smiles at me and I return with the best smile that I can produce, although it probably seems fake. The smell of bacon begins to fill the air and we both take a deep breath in. “That smells good, I guess my mom decided to cook again.” Travis looks to me shrugging his shoulders. There is a knock on the door that makes me jump. “Who is it?” There is a moment of silence and then an answer, “It me...Mom.” I sigh of relief escapes by lips and I respond, “Come in.” The door knob turns slowly and the door creaks open. “Are you guys making breakfast?” Travis and I look at each other confused, “No we thought that you were, we are just now getting up.” I realize that it must be Asclepius. I crawl over Travis and swing my legs of the bed and onto the cold hardwood floor. I push myself up from the bed and walk over to the closet grabbing my purple slippers. Slipping them on, I turn to Travis, “Are you going to get up?” He doesn't respond and throws his legs over the bed. I start for the door and he grabs my wrist pulling me to him. He holds me in his arms and presses my body against his chest. I look up to him and he kisses me gently on the lips. I can’t help but melt into him and I press my lips deeper into his. He rips his lips from mine, “We don't have time for that little lady.” I giggle and turn away from him walking out of the room and down the hall. I can hear his steps following me as we make our way to the dining room.

         The table is covered with the traditional breakfast items, bacon, eggs, potatoes and juices. I turn and look into the kitchen seeing a man standing in front of the sink washing the dishes. “Dad…” He turns and his face could not make me feel more at ease. “Hey baby girl, happy birthday!” I run to him and wrap my arms around him. Tears begin to fall down my cheeks wetting his shirt. “I am so happy you're here! How did you get here?” His embrace is the one thing that I have been longing for. I finally feel my fear melt away and try to focus on the comfort that he is providing me. “Well I got out of the hospital and went home for a few days. I couldn't stand the thought of missing your birthday so I had a Taxi bring me. I thought that I would whip up some breakfast. I have something for you. Its in the living room on the coffee table.” I get on my tippy toes and give him a kiss on the cheek. I let him go and turn to walk out of the kitchen to see what he has brought for me and Travis is standing in the doorway with a worried look on his face. “What is the matter?” His gaze doesn't leave my father and he doesn't answer me. I wave my hand in front of his face trying to break his trace. He finally snaps out of it and looks down to me. He moves out of my way so I can pass. I grab his wrist and drag him to the living room with me. “What is wrong with you.” He looks around as if someone is watching him. “It is really not a good idea that he is here you know. They can use him against you.” I look to the gorund and the once happy feeling I was having is gone. “Well there is nothing that we can do now. He is here and I need him right now. If you want to convince him to leave then you go ahead.” I walk away from him and look towards the coffee table that is inbetween the fireplace and the couch. I see my mother sitting in front of the fireplace setting up logs to make a fire. There is a small box on the table with pink wrapping and a tiny silver bow. I pick up the box and it is no bigger than the palm of my hand. I pull off the pink wrapping and it revealed a little black ring box. I open the lid and a small sliver ring sparkles. It is so beautiful and I take it from the box placing it on my finger. I notice that there is an engraving on the outside, “I love you more than life itself” Tears of happiness being to well up in my eyes and I rush back to the kitchen. My dad is wiping his hands off on a dish towel and I rush to him wrapping my arms around him squeezing him as hard as I can, “Thank you Dad, I love it!” He tries to catch his breath and says, “Your welcome honey.” He pulls me away and kisses me on the forehead, “Now go eat.” I turn to walk away and he hollers out, “Come on everyone lets eat.” The front door opens and in walks Asclepius. My dad turns his head as he pulls out the chair at the head of the table. “Who is this young lady?” Asclepius looks to him and curtsies, “My name is Asclepius. I am the Queens Healer and you are?” He is taken back at her bow and responds, “I am the Queens father.” She rushes to him and grabs his hand shaking it vigorously, “It is nice to meet you! I never thought that I would get the chance. Are you also a Pyros?” He looks at her confused and then looks back to me, “What is a Pyros.” Before I can answer she points to my mother who is still kneeling in front of the fireplace, “She is a Pyros.” My mother whips her head around and sees my father and Asclepius staring at her, “What?” My father folds his arms and continues to stare at her, “Why are you a Pyros?” I realize that my father still has no idea that she has regained her gift. He never really knew much about it in the first place. My mom turns around with fire glowing in her hand. My father jumps and rushes to her trying to extinguish the flames. My mom begins to laugh and we all follow, “Honey relax it doesn't hurt.” He sits back onto the floor and begins to rub his head. “I am confused.” She closes her hand and the flame dissipates. “Well it guess the easiest way to explain it is I can control fire and conjure it on command.” He looks around the room and we all nod yes to him. He gets up from the floor and wipes off the seat of his pants. “Well I guess crazier things have happened to this family.” He walks back towards the table and mom follows him.