Wasted

It was a night in December. Christmas was approaching and after a long day at her desk, Nathalie decided, to go into the kitchen and make herself a big cup of coffee, to drink on her way to the Metro, so she wouldn't get too cold.

As she entered the large and with the newest machines and utensils set up room, she froze in place. Right in front of her, at the small table, where usually the kitchen staff was having their meals, sat her boss, Gabriel Agreste, his hair a mess, his tie lying next to him. His collar was open and his blazer and vest were nowhere to be seen. Even the hem of his shirt was hanging partly over his pants.

She audibly cleared her throat, to not startle him too much, then asked:

"Is everything alright, Sir? Is there anything I can do?"

He glanced up at her, his eyes brimming with tears. Then he nodded and pointed at the chair across the table.

"Just sit and drink with me, Nathalie"

"But Sir, I....", she looked into his pleading greyish-blue eyes and forgot, that she wasn't very fond of cognac. She sat down and he instantly placed a glass in front of her and poured the drink.

Then he filled his own glass and lifted it up to meet with hers.

"To being alone for the rest of my life, because I am a failure!"

"Sir, you're not! You....."

"Just drink the goddamn booze, Nathalie!", he ranted.

The young assistant inhaled deeply, then gulped down the brown liquid. She closed her eyes, to wait until the burning sensation in her throat had passed, then shook in disgust.

Gabriel chuckled at her behaviour.

"Seems as if this isn't your favourite, Miss Sancoeur. Let me see, what I can do!"

He got to his feet, swaying a little, then walked to the fridge and opened it. A moment later he returned with a bottle of vodka and two different glasses.

He collapsed back into his chair and set the glasses with a thud on top of the table. Filling them with the clear fluid and shoving one to his assistant he blurted out:

"Here's to all the almost dead women, that I can't save!"

Nathalie gave him an annoyed look.

"Drink!", he yelled.

And so she did. They both did that again and again, until she noticed, that it was already past midnight. Trying to get up, she clang to the side of the table and pulled herself onto her feet.

"Wh-what are you doin'?", he demanded loudly.

"I-I, s-s-sorry SSSSSir, but I need to get goin'!", she felt her tongue being slow somehow.

"But you can't just leave me alone, not you too!", he whined and got to his feet as well, trying to get a hold of her hand, but missed it and fell face forward into her chest.

The flustered young woman tried to push him off her, with the result, that he started sobbing into her chest.

"Please don't go Nathalie. I need you. At least stay with me, until I have fallen asssssleep!"

That made her giggle. For now it was hilarious, that a grown up man needed someone to stay with him until he could sleep.

"Okay", she cackled, "I'll sleep with you until you stay! I-I-I mean....", she giggled again, "you know what I meant, right!"

"Yeah", he snickered, "you want to sleep with me! Too bad, that I am already married!"

His words made her blush even more, but she still tried to hold him straight and walk him to his bedroom. Though this wasn't how she imagined, going into his bedroom with him, when she was alone at home in the night, it still made her shiver.