Chapter 10

Kianna stared at the pitch-black world around her. The only thing she saw was herself. She stood there and took in her surroundings before sitting down, accepting it as if the world she once knew meant nothing. She had no desire to go back.

"To think you would give up so easily, shortie. You used to be so determined to live a better life," A voice rang out. Kianna didn't need to turn around to know it was Desmond.

"There is no reason to try. This void feels more comforting than the real world. No one needs me there anyways," Kianna said as she continued to stare out into the dark void. After a bit, she heard footsteps coming over to her. Before she knew it, Desmond sat down and wrapped his arms around her from behind.

"Trust me, there are. You just don't see it. Besides, you can't let our dream of living a better life die," Desmond said softly as he held her against his chest. Kianna relaxed in his hold and leaned into him. She turned around and hugged him back. A soft chuckle rumbled from Desmond's chest as he rested his head on top of her's.

"I miss you," Kianna mumbled quietly from his chest. Desmond smiled and rubbed her back.

"I know, shortie," Desmond said before he disappeared.

Kianna sighed as she woke up at the base of the tree she was napping against. She looked over to her side and saw Marcus doing some of his homework. Hearing her rustling, Marcus looked over at Kianna. He put his papers in his textbook before he closed it and put it aside.

"Are you gonna to tell me what happened?" Marcus asked a bit sternly, but it was clear that he was worried by the way he looked at her. Kianna sighed and leaned back against the tree.

"Mrs. Gruwell told CPS. They sent two officers, and my dad was able to dismiss them quickly. After, he cut me as a reminder to shut my mouth. He beat me the whole week I was gone," Kianna said slightly agitated by what happened as she touched the bandaging on her cheek. Marcus watched her carefully as he felt anger simmer inside his chest.

"How long is the cut?" Marcus asked softly as his anger dissipated, knowing it wouldn't do any of them any good. Kianna touched her collarbone to show him where it ended. Marcus' face hardened as his anger peaked.

"I'mma murder his ass," Marcus said with hatred. Kianna smirked lightly at the suggestion.

"Save that for graduation. We can murder his ass together," Kianna said, patting Marcus' shoulder. He calmed down and smiled as he noticed her smirk.

"You got a deal," Marcus agreed as he leaned back against the tree, still smiling. Kianna leaned back too and relaxed. It felt nice to be out after being in that miserable house for a week. They both just relaxed, enjoying this rare moment of peace together.

While this was happening, Mrs. Gurwell was making her way to the Long Beach Unified School District building to talk to Dr. Cohn, who was the head of the program meant for children that need help with their education. Before she knew it, she was at his office door. She knocked gently on the door.

"Come in, Mrs. Gruwell," Dr. Cohn's deep voice rang out from the other side. Mrs. Gruwell sat down in the chair in front of his desk. The room was mostly grey, adding a sense of professionalism, with a window that took up a whole wall.

"What brings you in today?" asked Dr. Cohn.

"It's been a little difficult getting the children's attention. Up until now, the only thing they hated more than each other was me," Mrs. Gruwell said with a smile as Dr. Cohn leaned back in his chair with a small smile.

"Well, you united them, and that's a step. What can I do?" Dr. Cohn asked softly as he looked at Mrs. Gruwell.

"I want to do more with them, and I need the support of someone in power," Mrs. Gruwell said. Dr. Cohn raised an eyebrow at her words and sighed.

"You have to take this up with your department head and your principal. I can't get involved in inner school policy," Dr. Cohn said as he sat forward and placed his folded hands on his desk.

"My principal only listens to my department head, and she's not very supportive," Mrs. Gruwell said, trying to get Dr. Cohn to understand the situation.

"You'll have to find a way to deal with it," Dr. Cohn said a bit dismissively.

"No, I'd rather just deal directly with someone in power," Mrs. Gruwell said stubbornly, not willing to give up. She needed this for her students, so they can learn to trust her more, so she can help them. Dr. Cohn let out a slightly frustrated sigh.

"Mrs. Gruwell, there's a system in place based on years of running an educational facility. You have to follow that system," Dr. Cohn explained.

"No, I won't. Look, I'm just trying to do my job here. What's the point of a voluntary integration program if the kids making it to high school have a 5th-grade reading level?" Mrs. Gruwell stated.

"I enforced that program," Dr. Cohn said, feeling a bit offended.

"With all due respect, all that program is doing is warehousing these kids until they're old enough to disappear," Mrs. Gruwell said.

"Look, I appreciate your intentions, but there's nothing I can do on a class-by-class basis," Dr. Cohn said.

"Dr. Cohn, why should they waste their time showing up when they know we're wasting our time teaching them? We tell them, 'Go to school. Get an education.' And then we say, 'Well, they can't learn, so let's not waste resources.' I'm thinking about trips. Most of them have never been outside of Long Beach. They haven't been given the opportunity to expand their thinking about what's out there for them. And they're hungry for it. I know it. And it's purely a reward system. They won't get anything they haven't earned by doing their work and upping their grades," Mrs. Gruwell laid out to Dr. Cohn. He once again gave her a bit of a confused look.

"But if Ms. Campbell won't give you books because of budget restrictions, she's not gonna approve school trips," Dr. Cohn said, trying to understand Mrs. Gruwell's suggestion.

"I'll raise the money. I just need to know I won't meet resistance. See, I can't promise them anything I can't deliver. It only proves what they already believe. All I'm saying is, Ms. Campbell doesn't need to be bothered," Mrs. Gruwell said. Dr. Cohn leaned back in his chair.

"Fine, but make sure you make the money for the trip," Dr. Cohn said. Mrs. Gruwell smiled and got up.

"Thank you, Dr. Cohn," Mrs. Gruwell said before rushing off to find herself a third job to get the money.