Chapter 6

13-year-old Kianna was at the lake, pacing anxiously. She had a bag with a first aid kit. Behind her, the leaves crunched as someone walked over. Kianna turned around to see Desmond, who had a large slash on his arm. Her eyes widened as she saw the blood dripping down. Kianna quickly got him to sit down on a bench. She placed the bag beside him and pulled out the first aid in a slight panic. She opened it and fumbled around for the handbook. Desmond was staring at the ground with a blank expression.

"I am sorry about this, Kianna," Desmond muttered. Kianna looked away from the book. Her face scrunched in fury as she looked at him.

"You have nothing to be sorry about! It isn't your fault your mom's drunk boyfriend tried to touch you," Kianna said sternly. She sighed and looked back at the handbook. "I am just glad you got away before he could hurt you more."

  Desmond looked at Kianna and shook his head before leaning back completely as Kianna laid the book down on the bench. She then pulled out a roll of gauze, a sewing kit, and an alcohol pad. Kianna proceeded to crouch in front of Desmond and pull out his arm. Desmond looked at Kianna, watching her every movement.

"I am going to have to stitch it close. It's going to hurt a lot, and it will take long because I don't know. I am sorry", Kianna said looking up at Desmond. Desmond looked at Kianna softly and cupped her cheek with his other hand.

"It's alright. There is nothing to be sorry about. I know you will stitch me up just fine," Desmond said rubbing Kianna's cheek with his thumb. Kianna leaned into his touch a bit before she pulled out the alcohol pad. She wiped the wound down as Desmond hissed in pain. He put his shirt in his mouth as Kianna read the book. She prepared the needle and gave Desmond a worried look. He looked her in the eyes before squinting them closed as she put the needle near his wound. He groaned out in pain, but it was muffled by the shirt in his mouth. Soon, his muffled groans and grunts filled the air as she continued.

  A tear glided down Kianna's face as she put the needle through her wound on her neck. She made the last suture before sighing and wiping away the blood. She put gauze around her neck to cover it before she sat on the bed and looked over at the picture of her and Desmond.

"I have had a lot of practice now, Desmond. I am good enough to give a surgeon a run for their money," Kianna said with a smile and a scoff. She then laid down and stared at her ceiling as she heard the front door slam open followed by a deep raspy chuckle along with a high pitched giggle. Kianna groaned as she heard it and turned around to face Desmond's picture.

"Goodnight Desmond," Kianna said softly before falling asleep.

  Before Kianna knew it, she was back in the classroom. Mrs. Gruwell had everyone push the tables to the sides. Everyone talked as Mrs. Gruwell got out some red duct tape.

"What you think we doin'," Marcus asked from Kianna's right. Kianna looked over to him as Mrs. Gurwell made a line on the ground, across the classroom with the tape.

"I don't know," Kianna said as she looked up at Marcus. Her navy hood was up, but the dark color made white gauze wrapped around her neck very noticeable. Marcus' eyes immediately focused on it as he faced her. He then gained a very serious look.

"What happened," Marcus asked quietly. Kianna stiffed a bit as he asked. She looked ahead, only to see Eva staring at her, glancing between her blank face and the white gauze. Kianna stared back at Eva and saw the guilt that seemed to swarm in her eyes. Kianna huffed in annoyance of the guilt before looking back at Marcus, whose eyes never left her figure.

"I will tell you later," Kianna said, not in the mood to explain. Marcus sighed.

"You better, you hear me," Marcus said roughly as the class got quiet since Mrs. Gruwell got ready to address the class.