Chapter 12

Kianna opened her eyes and she was back in the void. There was only herself and she knew that. She didn't have to look around to know that. She sat down in the void like she did before but this time, she kinda longed to be back in the world she knew. She wanted to be around Marcus and get to know Eva and Mrs. Gruwell. At least it seemed like Eva wanted to get to know her. She sighed as she thought about it.

"I told you, shorty!" A voice rang out behind her. Kianna perked up a bit and shook her head in disbelief with a smile, knowing it was Desmond.

"That there are people that care about me? Yeah," Kianna said, a bit annoyed that he was right. He walked in front of her and crouched down with his goofy smile that she missed so much.

"Soooooo...you aren't giving up on our dream of a better life, right?" He asked with his shit-eating grin. Kianna rolled her eyes and looked away from him. Her face dropped a bit as she thought about it. Seeing this, Desmond's grin disappeared.

"It wouldn't be the same without you with me..." Kianna said quietly as her eyes started to swell with tears. Desmond sighed and cupped her cheek, forcing her to look at him.

"I'm always with you in here," He said softly with a small smile as he poked her head.

"And here," He said, poking her chest. The tears started to spill from her eyes before she lunged forward and hugged him tightly. He hugged her and rubbed her back. Kianna slowly relaxed and closed her eyes.

  For once, she felt at peace in her mind. No hands taking her away. No father. Just the warm, comforting embrace of someone she loved dearly as she felt herself slip away.

  Waking up, Kianna looked out the window through the blinds as the sun peered through. It was relaxing until she heard giggling and a deep chuckle from somewhere in the house, probably from downstairs. Her father was probably seeing a girl he picked up from a dress-up party in Newport Beach out of the house.

  Kianna sighed and got dressed for school. Once she had everything, she pulled out the permission slip to go to the holocaust museum. She stared at it quietly for a second, not sure if her father would even sign it. She took a deep breath and went downstairs.

  Halfway down the stairs, Kianna stopped as she heard sizzling and laughter coming from the kitchen. This was unusual for her father, who usually had his flings leave as soon as they got up and never talked to them again.

  Not sure what to think, Kianna continued to walk down the stairs before entering the kitchen. Her father was smiling as he cooked over the stove. A black-haired, tan Caucasian lady sat at the island, talking to her father as she talked to him. She was wearing a black blazer and pencil skirt as if she was going to head to work after breakfast. Hearing Kianna walk over, she turned and gave her a smile.

"So, you're Randal's daughter," she said, welcoming Kianna with a warm smile. Kianna's eyes widened a bit as she tensed up in shock. Usually, if she bumped into one of her father's flings, they would ignore her. Not to mention that she was being so.... kind.

  Kianna's father turned to see the woman interacting with Kianna. He plated the eggs and sausages onto two plates and placed them on the island for him and the woman. He gave Kianna a kind look, but she could feel the hidden malice behind it. She stared at him for a bit before looking back at the woman.

"Kianna, this woman is Gina. She is my girlfriend, so please treat her kindly," Her father said sternly at the end. Kianna nodded slightly before turning her attention to her father.

"I need you to sign this," Kianna said softly while holding the permission slip out to him while avoiding eye contact with him. When he grabbed it from her hands, she looked at him to see his face scrunch up as he read the permission slip.