Chapter 8

Kianna shoved Desmond back, pissed off, while Desmond looked at Kianna with regret. Kianna shook her head and looked away from him.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Kianna asked looking over to Desmond. Desmond reached his hand out, desperately.

"I-I just wanted-," Desmond started saying until Kianna cut him off.

"You wanted what?! To join a group to rob a gas station?" Kianna asked furiously as she stepped up to Desmond. Desmond stumbled back as she did, her dark eyes bore into his soul, terrifying him.

"I just want to get us some money. Please don't do this Kianna," Desmond cried out desperately. He wailed as he fell onto his knees and grabbed Kianna's hand.

"Please. Just let me do this for us," Desmond begged. Kianna looked away from him, still heated. After a moment, she sighed and the flame blew out. She knew they both had only reserved about $250 for the runaway. Kianna pulled Desmond up and hugged him tightly, her head pressed against his chest. Desmond hugged her back gently.

"Promise me you will be careful," Kianna muttered into his chest. Desmond smiled lightly and petted her head as he hugged her tighter.

"Of course," Desmond whispered before kissing the top of her head.

  Kianna stared at the picture of her and Desmond on her nightstand. She sat up slowly and hissed lightly in pain. She looked back and grabbed it.

"I should've never let you go, Desmond. It's all my fault," Kianna said quietly before putting their picture back and getting up. She stumbled forward in pain but stayed up. She slowly changed before putting on her backpack and making her way out of her house.

  Kianna sighed as she made it to school. During her walk there, she was holding her stomach and limping. She made her way onto the school grounds, still limping, unaware that Marcus was watching her.

  Seeing her, Marcus quickly excused himself from his group and jogged over to Kianna. Eva, who was with her pack, noticed Kianna's limping but restrained herself, knowing she couldn't interact with her unless it was to get her to lie in court. When Marcus jogged up to her, Kianna looked over to see and grinned slightly as she realized it was Marcus. Marcus looked at her with his eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"You alright? I can see you limping from a mile away," Marcus asked as he walked beside Kianna. Kianna stiffened up a bit. She then tried to not to limp anymore and stopped holding her stomach. Marcus noticed and frowned before stepping in front of Kianna.

"What happened?" Marcus asked as he gripped her shoulders. Kianna immediately tensed from the sudden contact, but relaxed knowing Marcus wouldn't do anything to her. She glanced around to see some people watching. Her eyes connected with Eva's for a moment. Eva seemed to be very concerned too. Kianna looked back at Marcus.

"Let's go somewhere else and talk about it," Kianna said quietly. Marcus looked at Kianna confused before he saw some people watching. Marcus then led Kianna to the side of the school. The 10-minute warning bell rang and Eva took this as an opportunity to follow them.

"So, what happened," Marcus asked as Kianna leaned back against the wall with her arms holding her stomach. Kianna looked up at Marcus and sighed.

"My dad hit me a couple times, it's nothing," Kianna said before grimacing in pain and sliding down the wall until she was sitting on the floor. Kianna sighed as she was in less pain. Marcus looked at Kianna softly and crouched down.

"It doesn't look like nothin'. You can barely stand," Marcus said with concern. He looked over to Kianna and locked his eyes on the gauze that was still wrapped around her neck. "It's also clear that this isn't the first time. You know how to bandage yourself up."