CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

KOA SLAMMED his knife into a point on the map against the wooden table. "Here it is."

He happened to be correct. Sure enough Laventhorpe's location happened to be etched into the dusty map that we seemed to miss in our searches.

"The sections to the north and east of the capitol have been claimed by the neighboring kingdoms and the western and southern sections are desolate now, but the remains of the capital city and the forest surrounding it remain untouched since the day the kingdom fell." Koa explained, comparing the maps of the neighboring kingdoms to the one pinned to the table before us.

The journey to the kingdom's ruins took two days. We would have to be as prepared as we could, which meant bringing the army along. Anything could happen.

Laventhorpe happened to be located inside of the heart that belongs to an existing vast forest. Dalraine Woodland's was written in feathery cursive on the dusty map against what resembled the forest itself.

"Dalraine Woodland?" Kingsley questioned, "I've never heard of it before."

"Neither have I." I hummed, "But the name does sound familiar."

"Which is odd, don't you think?" Kingsley cautioned.

"I didn't think it was real." Mèabh whispered to herself.

"What? Didn't think what was real?" I asked, turning to her. She looked around at our faces briefly with a disturbed look.

"Well?" Evander asked snakingly. She faced him with a glare that shut him up.

She looked at us again and sighed defeatedly, "The Dalraine Woodland's is a well known Folk Legend in Merk.  It is commonly told to us as children and the stories that hang inside of the reputation of the forest are..dark. All who enter that forest, never exit. Alive anyway." Mèabh expressed.

Silence.

"But that shouldn't be a big deal for you guys right?" Grey asked with slight fear, "I mean, you guys are known for surviving things no one else can."

Blakely-Rose shook her head, "That doesn't mean we are invincible. We can die like everyone else."

"So in times like these," Willow began with a reassuring voice, "We prepared well, and thoroughly. We must be prepared for anything when we enter that forest. Good or bad."

Everyone in the syndicate nodded agreement.
"Well we should prepare-" Prince Koa began but was interrupted.

Kingsley stepped forward holding a hand up, "Oh no no no. You're not coming." She looked at the rest of the princes, "None of you are."

Evander stepped up to argue when Kingsley stopped him, "What? You got something to say? Did you forget we aren't here for you? None of us are. We are here to find your father the King and the last thing we need is dead princes on our hands. You're staying here."

She turned back around and looked at me, "When do we leave?"

"Daybreak." I responded.

The room was thick with emotions and tension. For a few seconds, no one moved after I spoke.

Evander scoffed and stormed out of the room, with Grey following shyly behind him. The girls left with the rest of the boy's, and all who was left in the end, was me and Koa.

I swallowed, "Thank you, Prince Koa."

He nodded, "Oh of course. Always. If you need anything, ever, please don't hesitate-"

"Prince Koa, I thanked you for your help today, but I won't be needing your help anymore. Don't think your little disappearance went unnoticed by anyone. Or the fact that we picked and searched every map, and suddenly you found one right one. Whatever it is you're doing that you feel like you need to hide, whatever hidden motive you have, I will find it." With that I walked out of the room.

The tension in my shoulders rolled off when I exited the room and found a man with green eyes waiting for me.

"You okay?" He asked. "That sounded intense."

"It's fine. I need to prepare to leave tomorrow." I rubbed my forehead with my fingers, "God, I'm so stressed out right now. Can you prepare the army for departure, please?" He nodded but it looked like he had more to say.

"What?" I asked, impatiently.

"If you don't want to talk about happened then say so. Don't lie and say it's fine, Aislin." Leland said, "Aislin, I'm glad you're here, saving everyone but its about time someone told you, to take care of you."

"I'm fine."

"No you're not, and furthermore, if you don't take care of you, think of all the people who need you in the future who won't have you!"

I sighed, "Well it's easier said than done. You seem to forget what everyone expects from me. I need to be at my A game, always."

"People only expect so much from you because you have set high standards. You are an extraordinary woman. You're intelligent, skilled, intimidating and most of all dangerous. People wouldn't expect so much from you, if you didn't bring so much to the table."

I closed my eyes and let out a breathy sigh.

He was right. I've been so focused on finding King Kole that I haven't taken care of myself. It reminds me of the time I hid away with Elowen and was able to focus on my needs rather than everyone else's.

Without warning, Leland wrapped his arms around me, eloping me in a bear hug. I stiffened but he didn't let go nor did he say anything. After the initial shocked passed, I slowly lifted my arms around his torso.

His hug was warm and only gave me comfort. After a few seconds, I looked up at him, setting my chin on his breast plate.

"Thank you, Leland." I sincerely thanked.

He looked at me with a small smile, "For what?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, "Everything really."

×××××××××××××

Author Note!

Hello My Mickey Mouse Club House Members!!❤️

umm not my favorite chapter about we will deal

Thoughts >

Random >

How is your day today? Was it bad? Good? In between?

QOTD: When's your Birthday?

Aug 15 for me. Do I have a twin 👀

Love you all thank you for reading! Xoxox 💋💋

- Mickey ✨