august 18, 1969 - morning

property of andrew hozier-byrne
when it all ends -
will she dissipate?

the energy in the entire area was electrifying on the day of the festival. the ground was constantly thumping from the force of what practically was a human stampede. just simply being on the property, hearing the music play on different stages in the distance, was exhilarating.

judy, andy, bea, august, and eddie walked as a group to the festival. along the way, eddie and judy fell into step with each other, giving them a unique chance to talk without the other white people in their group - trust me, it's a thing.

"this may be weird," judy started, "but do you mind readjusting my top? i feel it coming loose and i'd rather not flash an entire music festival."

eddie laughed but obliged anyways, coming behind her but still keeping a moderate walking pace. "i've seen at least five topless women this morning alone, so i think you're alright," he jested, gaining a chuckle from judy. he brushed her hair to the side, letting her hold it out of his way as he began to tighten her crochet bikini top.

"so, eddie..." she trailed off, waiting for him to complete his name.

"owusu-ansah," eddie responded.

judy raised her eyebrows, the name ever-so-familiar to her. "owusu-ansah... that's ghanaian, right?"

"it is," said eddie in a surprised tone. "how'd you know?"

"i was trying to trace my family's lineage for a project a few years ago," judy started. "obviously, i wasn't able to get much beyond a hundred years or so, but a lot of the clues pointed to my ancestors being taken from ghana. i kind of immersed myself in the culture after that."

eddie hummed. "i wouldn't be surprised if that were the case," he said. "my family relocated here in '56 for 'better education opportunities' or something like that. i would've much rather stayed, but i like it here, too. august has been very welcoming."

judy smiled fondly. she was glad that she could talk to eddie about things like this - and he could talk to her. there was a mutual understanding between the two that someone like august or bea wouldn't be able to understand.

"i would honestly love to go to ghana on a vacation one day," judy said. "perhaps you could be my tour guide?"

"that depends," eddie said. he finished tying off her top and returned to her side. "would you bring andy?" he asked, lowering his voice.

judy's face flushed. "...huh?"

"you cannot lie to me," eddie said, "i am the ultimate matchmaker. i see the way you two look at each other." if you were to ask eddie exactly how judy and andy looked at each other, he'd say that it was like they were each other's lifeboats, like oases in the most desolate of deserts. "judy, why haven't you done anything?"

judy cringed, having accepted that she couldn't, in fact, lie to eddie. "i don't know, to be truthful," she sighed. "i like him... a lot. but i don't think he likes me back," she said sadly.

eddie clicked his tongue loudly. "heresy! judy, that man is entirely devoted to you," he stressed, pointing at andy who had his back facing them. he swung his long arms slightly, not knowing what to do with them when judy's hands were not there for him to hold. "you have nothing to fear. all i'm saying is that your ancestors would be pissed if you didn't make a move."