september 23, 1969 - evening

diary of judy carver (DO NOT READ)
love is a garden, and we are its keepers
love waters and it grows,
and i graciously accept the fruits of our own labor
we only just planted ferns
and they have turned into redwoods

new york city is loud.
it's crowded and chaotic. when you walk down the street, you feel as if you're a sardine in a tin box -
and yet, you're the loneliest you've ever been.

however, that isn't the case for that weird little record store on 9th street.

indy's is like a warm little pocket in a cold, cold desert. fairy lights are hung carefully over the windows, giving the store a soft glow. there's always music playing - but only the B sides. these are where secrets are told. incense is always burning, and candles are always lit. it feels like a home - and is nurtured like one.

the couple that runs the store are pretty cute, too.

"okay, and that brings your total to $10.50," andy said after ringing up one of the few customers in the store.

the customer put a $20 bill on the counter and smiled. "keep the change," he said.

andy returned the smile. "we really appreciate it."

"y'all take it easy, now!" said judy from behind a shelf. the customer gave a curt wave before leaving, the door bell sounding a beautiful chime.

as soon as the door closed, the doorbell rang once more. in stepped bea, her face bright as always. "bonsoir, mes amis! i come with news!"

judy slowly meandered to the front of the store to give bea a hug. "you gonna tell us or just leave us in suspense?" she asked.

"i was getting to that," said bea, winking. andy went to the door after it shut to put up the CLOSED sign - it was 8, anyways. "so apparently august knows a guy who plays drums for this local band who's actually kind of popular? i can't say i've ever heard of 'required reading' before but-"

"you're going on a tangent~" andy warned in a sing-song voice, leaning against the counter next to judy.

bea sent him a playful glare. "anyways, required reading's doing a show at this underground venue tonight, and eddie's going too, i think. y'all wanna come with?" she asked.

judy bit her lip and looked at andy. "we'd love to, bea, but indy just sent us a bunch of shit to add to inventory," she said sadly.

"and if we don't do it tonight, we'll probably never get it done," andy added.

bea scoffed. "you guys are so painfully domestic."

"painfully?" andy asked.

"i said what i said." bea smirked. "all jokes aside, we'll miss you at the show," she said, her smirk turning into more of a pout.

judy smiled sympathetically. "we'll definitely try to make it to the next one," she assured. "you guys have fun though!"

"will do," bea said affirmatively. she hugged judy and andy goodbye before leaving the store as quickly as she entered.

"that girl will do anything but call us," judy sighed, tugging on andy's sleeve.

"she's definitely odd," said andy.