august 1st, 1969 - evening

diary of judy carver (DO NOT READ)
august 1st, 1969
dear diary,
a lot has happened since i last wrote. that's an understatement.
for one, i actually left town! i haven't talked to my family since i left. it's been just over a day. i'm sure they're pissed beyond comprehension. tonight, i'm gonna find a payphone and talk to mikey. i miss him and i want to let him know i'm okay.
last night, i met a boy. well, i guess a man. andrew. i think he's from ireland? and i don't wanna be flirty but damn is he fine. he's been so kind and i've got to know him really well, seeing as he's coming with me to new york. i know, crazy, right? driving miles away from your home with a practical stranger? but for some reason, i don't feel in danger when i'm with andrew. he couldn't hurt a fly - i like that about him.
we're currently at a gas station near the inn we're staying at for the night. andrew's taking care of gas. he's so sweet.
until my next entry,
j.c.

andrew climbed into the passenger seat. "she's all filled up," he quipped.

"thanks again for taking care of gas, andrew," judy said with gratitude.

andrew waved his hand dismissively. "don't fret about it, lass. 's the least i could do."

judy tore her eyes towards the road as they left the gas station. he was just so kind.

since the record store, they had burned through the beach boys cassette tape a total of 12 times (and counting). as they reached an intersection, the upbeat album came to a close, and the tape was pushed out.

"wanna find something else to listen to?" asked judy.

andrew grabbed his chin. "hmm..." he then smirked. "no, roll it again."

judy matched his smile and fed the tape back into the player. this time, andrew sang along.

about halfway through the album, the pair finally found the motel indy spoke of - red roof inn. better yet, there was a payphone posted right in front of the building.

judy parked the van, turning to andrew and placing a wad of cash in his hands. "go to the front desk and just ask for a doubles room for one night. meet me outside when you've got it, 'kay?"

andrew apprehensively took the cash from her. "don't you want to secure the room?"

"i need to make a quick call," judy excused. andrew knew that there was more to it than that - but he knew better than to ask.

"right then. it's a plan."

they went their separate ways, judy making a beeline towards the payphone. she dropped a quarter in and quickly dialed her home phone number. "please don't be ma, please don't be ma, please don't be ma..." she pleaded.

"hello?"

"thank god," judy sighed. "mikey, it's judy."

"man, i was wondering when i'd hear from you! glad to hear you're still alive."

"yep, still up and kickin'," judy said. "how'd ma and pa take the news?"

"...not good," mikey said sadly. "it's good that you're so far away, they might've just killed you before you crossed state lines." judy chuckled lightly. "where are you, anyways?"