Chapter 18

Day 18,

   Walking out into the living room... or what was left of it anyways... I cleared a spot in the debris, sitting down as I glanced around the room. I had noticed that the only thing still in tact was the clock on the wall.. but something wasn't right? I rose to my feet and slowly maneuvered myself through the remains of my living room, making my way to the clock. I examined it. The hands were stopped. 3:42. I went upstairs to my room to see what the actual time was. I shuffled over to my nightstand, checking the digital clock. 3:42. This couldn't be right.. it was morning, 8 or 9 at the very least. I stumbled backwards a few steps when I heard the door slam behind me. I jumped and turned my attention to the door. A shadow passed through my prephial vision as I felt the same dark presence take over the entire room. I suddenly felt sick as I scanned the room. Something was here.. and it wasn't good. I was suddenly jerked back by my hair and thrown down to the floor. I glanced up and caught a glimpse of a shadow in the shape of an unrecognizable figure shoot up to my ceiling, causing the lightbulb above me to explode. I rolled under my bed and laid on my stomach, trying to control my breathing. Something grabbed at my ankles and ripped me out from underneath the bed. I screamed and clawed at the floor. The door flew open as I was dragging out into the hallway and down the stairs. I turned onto my back and looked up.. but nothing was there. I scooted myself backwards until my back was pressed up against the wall and I quickly pulled my knees into my chest. I closed my eyes tightly. Right when I was about to open them, I heard a scream coming from the basement. Mom? I rushed into the parlor and quickly swung open the sealed door. Running down the steps, I stopped dead in my tracks when I reached the bottom. My heart stopped. My father was standing over my mother's limp body. The color had been drained from her beautiful face. Her neck had been twisted in an unnatural way and her stomach had been sliced open. My dad turned and looked at me, holding what seemed like some of my mother's insides in his bloodied hands. He dropped them and a smile crept across his face.

"She can't hurt you now. I will protect you and have you all to myself!" my father whispered calmly. That wasn't my father. His voice didn't sound like that? His voice was deeper than usual and echoed a little after each word. Was my dad... possessed? He killed my mother, he has got to be.. right? I was frozen in my tracks as he inched closer to me. He gripped my wrist tightly and I snapped out of my sedentary state. I pulled away and bolted up the staircase. He followed closely behind. I ran out of the basement, shutting the door behind me. That would be me some time. I ran to the attic, pulling down the stairs and quickly climbing up. I pulled them back up and moved some of the heavy boxes over it. I knelt down in one of the corners and sat quietly. A few moments later, there was a rumbling coming from underneath the boxes.. he knows where I am.I shut my eyes tightly, waiting for the stairs to slide down. Then, the rumbling stopped. I heard a soft humming sound and I looked over to the adjacent corner. I glowing mist started to appear. I stared at the bright apparition as the clarity of it increased. It was a woman, holding a small child against her chest. She looked up at me and the humming stopped. I backed up as far as I could. She reached her hand out.

"Don't be afraid! I won't hurt you!" the woman said. Then it hit me.

"K... Karen?" I stuttered.

She smiled and nodded her head slightly. Then her smile turned into a bitter frown.

"He has him now... you won't ever get him back," she explained. Confusion spread across my face.

"Who?"

"My...husband. He owns this house, protecting it from... me. But I don't want to hurt anyone!" She moved closer to me.

"My dad.. he killed her. My mom," I stared blankly at the floor.

"He just wants to protect the children. He believes that your family is here to hurt them... like I did," she shook her head quietly. The baby started to fidget around, I assumed that this was Emette. I started to cry. The realization that my mom was actually gone had finally hit me. I held my head in my hands as I sobbed quietly. I felt a slight shiver run down my spine. I looked up and Violet was crouched down next to me, the twins sitting in front of me.

"Are you otay?" Madelynn asked, tilting her head to the side. I smiled slightly and wiped my face.

"Yes," I replied.

"Did our daddy hurt you?" Dakota questioned. I shook my head.

"No.. my daddy hurt my mommy though," I told him. He looked up at me and tried to hug me. Waves of icy cold shivers rippled throughout my body but yet, I still felt warm. These ghosts weren't bad. They were just trying to protect my family and I. I smiled and looked back over to Karen. I stood up and pushed the heavy boxes off of the door. I took a deep breath and unlatched the staircase. My father was no where to be seen. Before I could make my way back down the stairs, I felt an icy shock shoot through the veins in my wrist. I glanced up and met the eyes of Violet.

"Be careful, Lea. My dad is a dangerous man and he will get what he wants," she warned.

"Thanks, Violet. I will," I smiled.

"Oh! And uhm.. sorry for being so mean to you earlier.. I just.." she looked down at the floor.

"It's fine, I understand. I would do the same if it were my family," I said softly. I waved goodbye to all of them and made my way down the attic steps. It was time to finish this.. permanently.