Chapter 8

Word count: 1122 words

**********************

You walked into an elevator and you stood in the corner, not wanting to be too close to James, just in case. "Agent Barnes, who is this other human form?" a female robotic voice boomed out of nowhere. In a blink of an eye you were already in a defensive position, with your fists raised to your chest, ready to attack anyone who came too close. You glanced around the tight space while James stared at you, waiting for you to calm down. "Don't worry Fri, she's a friend. She's part of us now." he spoke out. You looked at him with a very confused expression on your face. " Listen I know you said you were all messed up here but I didn't really think you'd talk to the walls. WHO APPARENTLY SPEAKS TOO!" you told him sincerely. He chuckled quietly and tapped the wall with his finger. "This is FRIDAY " he answered calmly as if that answered my question completely. " And what is a, um, FRIDAY?" You questioned, genuinely curious. "You should really ask Stark cuz I mean I know the basic stuff like its an AI but I really don't know what AI stands for and this really doesn't bother me cuz I don't have to be incharge of it ya know?" he mumbled quickly, trying to answer my question, but trying not to confuse me too much. "Know what? You can ask her later. She'll be more than happy to answer any type of question." You nodded with a smirk on your face, amazed by how hard he was trying to not make you feel dumb for not knowing.

You closed your eyes, the name he said triggering something in your mind. You were determined to not show him your weaknesses so you pushed that annoying thought to the back of your head and cracked your neck. James looked at you with a worried expression, noticing something in your clicking. Just as he was about to say something the metal doors finally slid open and you walked out of the small space. He quickly followed and got back to leading the way.

He reached the end of the corridor and turned to his right. "Okay, so this is my room." he said pointing to a black door with a silver door knob. "And this is your room." he said, turning to your left, pointing to a black door opposite his. "Just in case you need anything, don't hesitate to come to me." he spoke out before smiling at you. "Thank you James:" you answered back to him. "Call me Bucky:" he said with a smirk while walking into his room and closing his door, leaving you alone in the corridor, your room waiting to be explored.

You breathed in deeply before slowly twisting the door knob, the door opening smoothly. You stepped inside and the lights automatically turned on, showing a neatly made king-sized bed, a big white marble bathroom in one end of the room and a very long stained glass window showing the astonishing view of the black sky, painted with stars. The big city surrounding the compound, filled with small lights coming from different lampposts. You were mesmerized by the view when you noticed that the windows led to a small balcony.

You walked towards the window and slid the window open silently. You stepped on the smooth concrete floor, the cold air of the night hitting your warm face sending shivers down your spine. You breathed in the fresh air, your lungs finally breathing a full deep breath of fresh air for the very first time. You slowly lowered yourself on the concrete floor and brought your knees to your chest. The light breeze moving your hair out of your face made you feel at peace: finally your inner war with yourself paused for a few minutes, nothing bothering you, your mind completely blank. You matched your breathing pace with the wind's flow and time became uncountable, endless. You felt free.

After a few hours you left the apartment to explore the room again. Once you stepped into the room the same robotic voice spoke out calmly. "Hello! I'm FRIDAY. Such a pleasure to finally meet you. Again:" You looked around yourself, fists raised again. " Again?" you questioned . " That information is classified." She answered back coldly. After a few minutes of silence she spoke up again," So what is your name?" you cleared your throat, not used to this much talking in one day: " Um I'm Y/n, I guess. Y/n Y/l/n" you replied unsure if you should tell her your real name. "Y/n Y/l/n. The shadow. Belongs to HYDRA. Abilities. manipulating minds. Is that right" she asked innocently. "Yeah that's me." you mumbled.

The AI kept talking, something about welcoming you and all the stuff she could do but you were busy trying to restrain your mind from wandering too much. Flashbacks of rough training sessions and missions flooded your brain.

You stumbled on the floor, painting heavily, trying to stop your emotions from getting the better of you. You crawled on the floor, frantically trying to stop your mind from torturing you further. You sat down on the floor from your crawling position and felt tears stream down your face.

You forced yourself to breathe and decided to take your usual solution to your breakdowns : turning off your emotions.

It would usually last for a few hours before the barrier would break and your emotions would gain control again. After years of being emotionally abused you learned how to control your emotions and when needed, you could turn them off completely.

You exhaled slowly before standing up again, your mind blank. You looked out your room, studying every inch of it. You then spotted a small corner in the wide room, it was the one farthest from the door. It was just perfect.

You had spent your whole life living in dirty and unhygienic rooms. No bed, no windows, no carpets, no nothing. So you got used to sleeping on the floor,on your own and in the dark. Beds were far too squishy rather than the hard, cold floor. Your body completely rejected them. You sat down, leaning on the wall and burying your head in your legs. You inhaled sharply and closed your eyes.

You hadn't slept in a week and the tiredness had started to come out. You hated sleeping but you forced yourself to rest, even if that meant living in literal hell. Even if it would last for a few hours, in your nightmares time felt endless.

You slowly drifted into an uneasy sleep, hoping your body would recharge soon.

****************************
Hi I'm really sorry if the story is so slow. I gonna keep writing though, maybe make shorter chapters like this but more frequently. Idk tell me what you think. Oh and I have some very important tests this month so if the story gets a bit boring or um anything please excuse me.

I'm literally loving this story and I really want to keep on writing it. Sorry if its taking so long!

elle