chapter 9

Words 1160
*********

You jolted awake breathless, your eyes darting around the room, your chest heaving .

You choked on air as your lungs refused to breathe in. You slowly lifted your light hands to your chest, desperately trying to breathe, scrunching up the sweater you had woken up in. A single tear rolled down your cheek as you were on the edge of fainting. Your poor body reacting to your awful nightmare, turning on her survival mode. Your eyes couldn't focus on anything in the room and the only thing that you could hear was your loud and quick heartbeat, blood flowing towards your lungs only to find that there's no oxygen. A small whimper escaped your lips while your mind was reliving your nightmare, forcing yourself to keep your eyes open to not go back to that awful place.

You let out a quiet sob, so quiet it made no sound, as you finally gave up.

"Y/n" a loud voice in your head spoke, you recognized that voice immediately, FRIDAY. "Y/n" you shifted on the floor, clawing at your neck. "Y/n listen to me." the AI spoke with a slightly urgent tone. "Breathe in with me. " In the background your  a small vent  and air burst out of it. " Do it with me,  miss Y/n." You forced your eyes open and you opened your dry mouth. "Miss Y/n I'm going to need you to do it now, your body is going into shock." the AI spoke with a slightly begging tone. You could hear "her vents" let in and out air but you were unable to do the same.

You suddenly felt a tingly sensation in your brain as you gasped for air. Something in your brain clicked and you inhaled sharply and then coughed roughly. It went on like this for a few minutes until you finally reached a panting pace.

You sighed heavily, confused for all that had happened. After a few minutes of silence you finally spoke up. "Friday, how did you do that?" The AI stayed silent for a couple of seconds before answering back. " I'm sorry miss Y/n I really didn't mean to invade any of your privacy but as you were sleeping you were showing clear signs of distress so I scanned your body immediately, as a safety protocol, and thankfully you woke up although I think your dream was too real for your mind to comprehend that you had woken up. On your file it says you can read minds and so, although with great difficulty, I entered your mind, that's how you could hear me. I had called you several times out loud but you gave no sign of hearing me. I must say you have a very intricate mind." you exhaled deeply, still processing everything. "Thank you Friday." you breathed out. "No problem, Miss Y/n" she answered sweetly. "Do you want me to study those symptoms more accurately, maybe I could help you or should I alert Agent Barnes?" she asked. You thought for a moment before replying "No thanks Friday, please don't disturb agent Barnes. Besides I'm sure it won't happen again." you lied. Of course they were going to happen again, they've been happening all your life, sometimes they're easier and you catch your breath after a few minutes, others are a bit rougher, they knock you out and bring you back to that dreaded darkness. But of course things aren't going to change are they? So, you either face them alone or tell someone and they'll use it against you or worse, they'll give you more things to have nightmares about.

You shuddered at the thought of telling someone your thoughts as you lied on the floor. "What time is it?" you asked friday quickly. "It is currently 2.03 am." she answered back. You contemplated for a while about what you should do and sleep was certainly not one of them. You ended up deciding to train. Your master would always train you at this time of day for several hours, you had accustomed to this routine and it didn't seem that bad especially because training was all you ever did, well except for killing. That's what you are: a trained, killing machine. Nothing more. Nothing less

"Friday, is there by any chance an empty gym that no one ever uses that I could use?" you questioned trying to not sound too suspicious (P.S. failing terribly), noticing the hoodie you were wearing, distinctly remembering that you had fallen asleep in your sports bra. "Yes the gym on level -3 is empty" the AI spoke calmly. "Um... FRIDAY- whose is this?" you mumbled, pinching the sweater. "That sweater is Natasha Romanoff's. She had left it here for you and while you were asleep your body temperature dropped so I slid it on you.

You stood up slowly, rubbing your eyes lightly. "Are there any shoes I could use?" you asked, not having any other choice. "On your right, there's a walk-in closet, you should find some shoes there." she spoke while opening the shudders, letting the moonlight shine inside the room.

You hesitantly turned to your right, finding a small handle on the wall. You pushed it down and a door opened. The biggest wardrobe you had ever seen was displayed in front of you, well not that you had seen many.  You gazed at all of the shirts and hoodies that had been neatly folded and placed in drawers. You quickly noticed a low shelf which held different type of shoes. You knew none of the brands but you spotted immediately a pair of neon yellow shoes with a black sole and black laces. They were so pretty, not really your type because of how flashy they were but you couldn't deny how comfortable they looked. They looked perfect for training so you picked them up and slipped them on.

You quietly walked out of the closet after having put on a pair of black leggings you had found in a drawer, which were slightly baggy, and an oversized grey hoodie because you didn't wanna ruin the one Friday had put on you.

The corridor lights flickered on as you lightly paced across it, not making a sound. " Friday, what time is it?" You whispered, hoping that Friday had heard you. " It is currently 2:34 am miss Y/l/n" she answered back, whispering too.

It was slightly inconvenient but you would have to make do. You decided to do what you would do at HYDRA in 36 intense hours, non stop, in just 5 hours.

You waited patiently for the elevator and walked in it once the metal doors had slid open, clicking the -3 button. " Friday, you 100% that no one ever uses this gym and that everyone's asleep?" You gulped. " Positive" she whispered as the metal doors slid closed.
*****
Hii sorry it's taking so long In truly sorry, my phone broke so I've been writing everything on paper and it takes so much time to copy everything from paper onto the computer. Tell me what you think!! Hope you like it :)
Elle