Who You Are

tw: violence, abuse

Draco Malfoy had also just turned six years old at the time.

He sat on the floor of the Malfoy's Manor pantry, a collection of small colored marbles before him, scattered around four circles carved into the wood floor. The summer heat seeped under the crack of the door and into the room, the humidity clinging to his vest and making his unruly blonde hair wilt. He groaned as the Malfoy house elf tossed in a marble and lost him a point. He covered his face as the putrid liquid from the gobstones shot out at him and covered his dusty trousers.

"No! That's not fair!" He shouted, but he was giggling and waving his hand in front of his pale face. The smell was awful. "You cheated!"

Dobby smiled at him, his big ears flapping excitedly. "Dobby is not meaning to make young Master Draco lose, Dobby is not cheating, Dobby is only playing the game!"

Draco took a ball and tossed it, not very coordinated at his age, and only managed to score a point as opposed to making the house elf lose one. He sat back and put his arms around his knees. "You're so good at this. Pansy says her house elf never wins at gobstones."

Dobby's wide eyes squinted, focusing on the game that was between them. "Most house elves wouldn't dare beat their masters at gobstones, but Dobby knows Master Draco has most fun when we is playing fairly."

Draco admired his house elf. "I do. You're a great elf, Dobby."

The house elf, flustered at the compliment, aimed his marble too far to the left. He lost a point. "Master Draco musn't say things like that, Master Draco is too kind, Dobby doesn't know what to do when Master Draco is so nice to Dobby!" He shrieked and covered his eyes with his ears, pulling them over his flushed face with his hands.

The young Malfoy laughed and scrunched up his nose as he caught a whiff of the liquid that sprayed his elf. He had meant the compliment with his whole heart. The house elf had been by his side for as long as he could remember, and when the manor felt particularly cold and void of happiness, Dobby made it feel a little less empty. They had made a habit out of playing gobstones in the walk-in pantry this summer, while Lucius Malfoy was out on Ministry business and Narcissa was out in the garden. For hours everyday they would sit and toss the marbles back and forth and laugh when the other lost a point. The pantry would reek after, and with the summer growing hotter, the whole pantry had adopted the permanent smell of gobstones. Neither minded it, though. The other's company was worth it.

With a final roll, Dobby won the game and jumped up and down excitedly, celebrating victoriously. "Dobby did it! Dobby did it!"

Draco laughed and pulled the marbles towards him and scooped them into a small blue velvet baggie. "That was so cool!" He praised. "You have to teach me to curve the ball like that, that was awesome."

Dobby flushed even harder. "Of course, Master Draco! Dobby will teach you everything Dobby knows!" His ears shot straight out. "Wait! Dobby has forgotten!"

Draco looked up as he pulled the matted rag back over the board. "What do you mean?"

Suddenly Dobby came back around one of the shelves, a small bag in his little hands. "Dobby has forgotten Dobby got Master Draco a gift! Dobby is so forgetful, Dobby is sorry Master Draco, Dobby will make sure to punish himself later-"

"No, Dobby, you will not. That's an order." Draco said simply. He'd gotten used to ordering Dobby not to punish himself over the years of their friendship. He hated seeing the burns or swelling on his little limbs the next day, and hated knowing he could stop it even more. Draco reached out and took the bag from Dobby, who sat in front of Draco, muttering about Draco's kindness. He gingerly opened the bag. Inside were licorice wands and Bertie's beans and a square of Treacle Tart. His favourite.

"Dobby! How did you..."

"Dobby knows how much Master Draco loves Treacle Tart, so Dobby has made some for Master Draco's birthday! Master Draco is six today! Six! It is a big day, and Dobby wants to do something for Dobby's Master Draco to celebrate!"

Draco looked up to his house elf, his grey eyes shining with excitement. "Thank you, Dobby." He wrapped his arms around the elf, who squeaked in surprise. He patted his master's back and beamed.

Then the door swung open.

Lucius Malfoy was home early.

Draco didn't have a chance to react. The elf was violently wrenched from his arms, a blur of movement in the corner of Draco's eye, and swung around as Lucius picked up a jar from one of the shelves and, without hesitation, slammed it over the head of the elf.

It shattered on impact.

"Dad! Dad, no! What are you doing?" Draco was shouting, pleading.

Lucius didn't look up as he kicked the house elf into the corner. "Teaching this filth a lesson."

Draco grabbed Lucius' robes and tried to pull him back. "Dad, no! He didn't do anything wrong, he's my friend-"

Lucius spun around and grabbed the front of Draco's vest. His eyes held rage, and his grasp on his son's shirt was tight enough to strangle him. "He is not your friend, Draco Malfoy. He is an elf, a servant, and he must be treated and punished as such so he can learn his place."

Draco knew better than to try and fight Lucius anymore. His hands trembled and his breath wouldn't come out steady and his whole body seemed to shake in fear, tears streaking down his face as he watched his house elf beaten into the corner of the pantry.

When Lucius was done, the toe of his shoe coated with red, he turned his head over his shoulder and stared down at his weeping son. "You are a Malfoy, Draco. Remember who you are. You are royalty in this world, the purest of the pure. Act like it."

Dobby and Draco didn't play gobstones after that, even when Dobby's wounds were healed and the house was empty again and Draco felt especially alone.