A Warning and Goodbye

"Shit shit shit shit shit, we're late-"

Jesalynn sped Isobel's trolley across King's Cross, making herself a path through the crowd with her cursing. Isobel struggled to keep up as she booked it to the space between platforms 9 and 10.

The ceilings of the station stretched out over Isobel's head for what seemed like miles, exposing the clouded grey sky above. There were trains on either side of them, looming overhead like great black whales, shiny and rumbling with life. People bustled around them, rushing about with briefcases and purses and trunks, or with nothing at all.

"Okay, Isobel hurry up, stand right here, no here, okay now hold on tight kid, we are so late-" Isobel struggled to keep her feet on the bar of the trolley as Jesalynn put her hands on either side of her own. She wanted to look around more, take in the hectic London station around them, but there was no time to spare. Using all her strength to push them forward, the cart lurched under Jesalynn's grip. It shuddered uncontrollably, threatening to lose course, rocketing ahead without a single sign of slowing. Isobel knew how to get to the platform, but it didn't stop the fear she felt as the wall got closer and closer...

Isobel squeezed her eyes shut.

There was no impact.

Jesalynn wrapped her arm around Isobel's shoulder, urging her to open her eyes. Isobel did, and reckoned she'd never close them again.

A large stone archway above Isobel's head read Platform 9 ¾ and beyond it sat the great scarlet steam engine preparing to take her to Hogwarts. The Hogwarts Express glistened majestically behind dozens of kids and their parents, young and old, hugging and tearfully kissing the others goodbye for the first half of the new term. Kids ran on and off the train with the last few minutes left before take off, chasing one another and reuniting with old friends, some sticking out from open windows aboard the train with wide smiles and bright eyes. 11 o'clock struck ever closer with the screeching of owls and a warning whistle from the Express.

Both Jes and Isobel wore matching looks of awe.

She rushed Isobel forward to get her bags on the train in the closest available compartment, allowing for Isobel to get on by herself while she tried to find Lucius. They only had minutes left. She turned to find her coworker.

Isobel could barely make it onto the train without getting squished between other students. Many of them wore everyday clothes, though Isobel spotted a small few already in their uniforms, minus the cloaks, and even some with shiny badges. She tried not to think too hard about her own choice of clothes, a long sleeve beige sweater, black skirt and tights, and a pair of Mary Janes from Jesalynn's years at Hogwarts when she was her age, but it was hard not to feel like everyone's eyes were on her. She finally found a place to store her luggage, there wasn't a single empty compartment left, and decided to wedge her very few personal belongings in with a mix of others before turning to find her aunt again.

Isobel returned to find her aunt talking to a tall man with pale blonde hair and cold grey eyes. He had a pointed face that glowered down upon Jesalynn. Lucius, Isobel thought, even though she'd never actually seen the man before. Within seconds he whisked off, speedy even with his walking cane, to the other side of the platform. Jesalynn's face was pale.

"That was Lucius, wasn't it?" Isobel finally stepped over from her perch behind the door of the Express.

Jesalynn looked surprised to see her. "What? Oh, oh, yes, that was Lucius. Ministry business. You know."

Isobel nodded. It didn't seem like Ministry business, but she didn't vocalise this.

"Did you find a compartment alright?"

She nodded.

"Didn't forget anything, did you?"

She shook her head.

Jesalynn sighed and squatted down in front of Isobel. "And you'll write me everyday, won't you?"

Isobel smiled. "Of course."

Jesalynn returned the look but her face was still awfully pale and her smile seemed pushed. "And you know the rules, right?"

"No running in the halls?"

This cracked a genuine smile from Jesalynn. "Well yes, but more than that. Much more importantly than that."

Now it was Isobel's turn to give a tense smile. "Yes, Jes. No one will know." She gestured to zipping her lips shut.

Jesalynn took Isobel's shoulders in her hands. "Good. I'm going to miss you so much, kid." She pulled Isobel closer again, and this time Isobel didn't fight it. "So bloody much." Her eyes were watery when she pulled back. She sniffled and fanned her face, standing to send Isobel off.

"Stop getting sappy, Aunt Jes, I'll see you at Christmas."

"I know," she laughed, pushing back her tears. "I love you kid."

"I love you too."

Isobel turned to get back on the train, feeling giddy with nerves and excitement (it was finally happening, after all, she was finally going to Hogwarts), when Jesalynn spoke out to her one last time. "Isobel! One last thing-"

Another warning whistle emitted from the train behind them.

"Stay away from Lucius' boy."