Chapter 27: Mission

A/n: Description of panic attack, marked with *

"Over the last week there's been a spate of attacks on intelligence officers worldwide, of every nationality. None of these attacks have been ordered by rival intelligence agencies." C says, leading you all down a corridor.

"That's what you're telling yourselves." Missy mumbles.

"No, we all have a very good working knowledge of what our enemies are up to. No agency possesses the technology to carry out these attacks. None of us understand how it was done, or even what has been done. But every agency has suffered the same fate." He responds.

He opens a wooden door into a medical area. You see a woman hooked up to a few machines showing her heart rate.

"She was found unconscious on the floor of an aero plane washroom on a flight to Tokyo. She'd made pre-arranged contact with an informant." C says, a distant look on his face.

"Is she in a coma?" Yaz asks.

"Apparently it's a little more horrific than that." He hands the Doctor a tablet. "Now, I'm told this is your expertise, dealing with the impossible."

"You're right. That is impossible. Her DNA's been rewritten. Every strand corrupted and reshaped. She's no longer human, just a shell with a human appearance." She says, furrowing her brow.

"Will she be okay?" Izzy asks quietly.

"There's nothing left of her to live. It's like she's been erased. This is beyond any human activity." She whispers.

"Ah, I was rather worried you were going to say that. Doctor, the security of this entire planet is at stake. Can we rely upon you?" He asks, concerned. She nods. You follow him to what appears to be his main office.

You're getting quite nervous now. Security agents are getting attacked, and turned into aliens. Your entire species is at risk. You look down and see blood starting to pool out from clenching your fists.

"It'll be alright dear." You look to your right and see Missy walking next to you. She takes your hands and unfolds them, frowning when she sees the scars from other times.

"How do you know?" You whisper.

"Because when we find these aliens I'll be turning them into a lovely soup." She says, dropping your hands.

You're about to respond when you walk into what you're presuming to be C's office.

"Anesthetic darts, laser shoe gun, infrared ID duplicator, calendar hacker, lock-breakers, rocket  launcher cuff links, retinal ID decoder and tongue immobiliser chewing gum. How much more do you want?" He asks handing a few briefcases to Graham and Ryan. You assume they must've been talking on the way over here.

"Yeah, it's great. Keep 'em coming C." Ryan says, grinning.

"Yeah, bring on the bling." Graham adds, looking at what you're pretty sure is a laser shoe.

"They are not toys!" C exclaims.

"Yeah, they're not toys Graham." Ryan says, you can tell he's not being totally serious.

"No, they're not Ryan. And if you say otherwise I'll shoot you with my laser shoe." Graham grins, holding the shoe up to Ryan.

C walks towards Yaz and the Doctor, holding up a file.

"All of the assassinated agents were investigating leads related to this man." He hands them the file. Yaz takes it, the Doctor reading it quite quickly over her shoulder.