『THE LEGEND OF THE AVATAR』

SARUTOBI EYES WIDENED IN SHOCK, IT HAD BEEN SO LONG SINCE HE HEARD OF THE TITLE.

"Uh, Sarutobi....you ok," Y/N asked, having noticed the man's reaction.

He looked at her, and was brought back to his senses. This situation would be more complicated than he thought.

"Ms. L/N," he began but was quickly cut off.

"Please just call me Y/N the 'Ms.' thing makes me sound old," she said light heartedly but taking in the man's appearance she quickly said, "Uh, no offense."

He let out a laugh and said, "None taken."

But remembering the weight of the situation he cleared his throat and began again, "Y/N what exactly do you mean when you say you are the Avatar?"

She giggled a bit, to her it was a funny question, almost everyone knew who the Avatar was. Y/N took a look at his face and was shocked to find nothing but sincerity.

"Well, I'm the bridge between our world and the spirit world," she said. "I have to keep balance by mastering the four elements, so that I can fight for what's right."

The old hokage sighed, it had been so long since he heard those familiar words.

"Why do you ask?"

Sarutobi looked at her and began his tale.

"When I was a boy my mother told me many stories. My favorite took place in a world completely different from my own," he looked at her as he said, "Instead of chakra, people could move the elements at will and the most powerful of them all was,"

"The Avatar," they finished together.

"Wait," Y/N said stunned. "The Avatar-me-it's just a story here?!"

"Yes. Or at least that's what I had believed," he said looking at her. "But now I'm not sure."

'The scroll,' she thought. 'It did bring me here! Somehow..... But why?'

Y/N took in a breath, she hadn't planned on telling him but now she feared she had no choice.

"You asked me why I was in that forest and I was truthful when I told you I didn't know. But I think I might know how..." she said. And then Y/N began to tell him her story. After she was done she searched his face for a reaction yet found nothing.

And while he didn't show it, he was hung up on something she had said. The man who had put his name on that scroll.

'So you had a hand in this, huh,' Hiruzen thought. Looking at the girl's anticipated face he thought. 'No matter. You can wait.'

He sighed and looked out the window.

"There was a map in the back of that storybook. I used to pretend that I was on a hunt for the Avatar," he chuckled. But then let out a sigh, as if remembering better times.

"Eventually, I forgot about those stories and so did the rest of the world."

"So," Y/N said. "This world doesn't know who I am?"

The third Hokage turned to look at the floor.

"I'm afraid not, child" he said as he he shook his head.

Y/N stared down at her sheets. She was torn.

Ever since she had known she was the Avatar she had begun her journey, training day in and day out. She had a destiny waiting for her at home.
On the other hand, she had no idea how she was going to get home. Or if she ever could go home.

Horrified at the thought, she shook her head. No there had to be a way.

Seeing the girl's face filled with woe, Hiruzen remembered he must make a decision regarding the outsider. And then it struck him.

"Y/N, would you like to become a shinobi?"

"A what," she said looking up at the old man. "You mean like a ninja?"

"Exactly."

"But, I don't know the first thing about being a ninja."

"I'll assign you a trainer. Focus on your skill, that of a ninja and of an Avatar. And meanwhile I will find you a way home."

"You mean it," she said incredulously.

"Yes, as long as I am hokage I promise that I will find you a way home."

"I," she hesitated. She didn't really know Sarutobi that well. He was a complete and utter stranger, was she really going to accept his offer?

'A stranger who will find you a way home.'

She looked at him again and came to a conclusion.

"IT WOULD BE MY HONOR."