1 | in the rain

author's note: hi there! this is my first fan fiction-sort of-short story, so there may be some errors/mistakes/things that are possibly unclear, but i hope you enjoy! i'm thinking about making a ranpo one since there aren't many, but then again my motivation comes and goes. that said, i might not post frequently on this one. so hopefully you like the chapters i do write ^v^''

black boots hit the wet pavement, often coming across puddles of rain and causing water to fly into the air, a lot of times splashing onto the owner of the boots. atsushi ran through the pouring rain in the city of yokohama, with nothing but the clothes he wore to shield himself from the harsh weather that only stuck to his skin uncomfortably upon being soaked with water like a wet blanket. 

purple and yellow heterochromia eyes darted left to right in search for shelter before spotting a small bus stop shelter and heading there. with a sigh in relief, atsushi began to wring his clothes to release the heavy water in them and onto the road flowing with water.

as atsushi combed a hand through his damp, silver locks, he took a look at his current location in the city and let out a distressed groan as he realized how far he was from the agency. but his helpless mood dissipated and was replaced with stupefaction when he noticed a figure in the center of the heavy rainfall.

he raised a brow in confusion as to why the person was standing there in this kind of weather, when he noticed how the person had a hand extended to feel the rain despite being drenched in it. looking closer through the blurred vicinity, he was able to make out a girl around his age, hair sleek and glossy from the water pouring down on her, her casual attire soaked as much as atsushi's, if not more. motionless, she continued to stand there without a care in the world about how drenched she got, instead taking in the calming noise of the falling rain with a 'pitter-patter.'

it bewildered atsushi to no end, but also worried him since she could get sick from her body being submerged with cold water for a long period of time. taking another look around the block, he fortunately caught sight of a convenience store around the corner. reaching into his pocket, he had just enough coins to buy two umbrellas, and wasted no time dashing there.

moments later he came out of the store and made his way to the girl who was, surprisingly, still there, except now she was sitting on a bench along the road. a clear, plastic umbrella held above his head, his steps slowed to a cautious pace as he approached the girl, afraid to disturb her, as she had her eyes closed with a serene expression upon her face.

"um, excuse me miss? do you...i mean, why are you sitting in the middle of the rain like this?.." atsushi asked, gloved hands nervously fiddling with the handle of his clear umbrella.

the girl's eyes cracked open slightly at his wavering voice, eventually acknowledging his presence. she chuckled in light amusement as she faced the boy. "well, I like to be in the rain, I like the feeling of the water on my skin, the sound...everything just feels so soothing."

atsushi blinked as a clumsy smile crept onto his face. "umm..." this girl was by far the most interesting girl he had ever met. carefree, calm, and...unordinary. she was almost like a mix of kyoka and dazai. "i guess it's nice for people who don't mind getting wet...though sometimes it is peaceful when i look at it from inside."

an awkward silence ensued as the girl continued to stay seated, atsushi standing beside her with momentary unease. instead of walking off, atsushi decided to stay and accept the rhythmic noise of the rain around them, simply immersing the pleasant vibe the girl gave off. it was odd, yes, but somehow being in the presence of the stranger gave atsushi a sense of comfort as he continued to remain there. puddles rippled from the ongoing drops of rain, after each drip followed by a 'pat.'

soon the girl stood up, looking like she was about to leave. "i think i need to get going now. it was nice meeting you." with a soft smile and turned to leave. but something tugged at atsushi's chest to call out to her. an unexplainable attraction for the perplexing girl developed a foreign feeling inside of him in that short amount of time they appreciated each other's company despite being strangers.

"w-wait a minute!" hand outstretched, he chased after the girl after faltering in that moment of brief farewell. as the girl turned to him, he pulled out the second umbrella he bought at the convenience store.

"although you probably won't use it now or already have one at home, i wanted to give this to you...that you can use in the future so you can still enjoy the rain while avoiding the chances of you getting sick," atsushi muttered shyly as he took her hands and placed the wrapped umbrella in them, balancing his umbrella on his shoulders so he could use his hands to clasp over hers so that she held onto it securely.

his spontaneous action not only surprised himself but the girl, whose eyes had widened slightly. meanwhile the silver-haired boy in front of her grew flustered, his face growing red as he immediately removed his hands from hers.

"s-sorry! i-i'll be taking my leave now..." atsushi uttered out, hesitating before turning away, walking a distance away before the girl's voice made him stop in his tracks.

"wait! what's your name?"

atsushi whipped his head around again as the girl called out to him, with slight surprise and awkwardness at the many times they had stopped each other. he looked back at the girl's smaller figure that stood in the distance. he paused as he processed the question, purple yellow eyes blinking owlishly, before yelling out with a smile at the amusing circumstance;

"atsushi...nakajima atsushi! yours?"

"[l/n] [y/n]! i hope we can see each other again!"

------

disclaimer:

bungou stray dogs does not belong to me, nor does its characters

i only own the plot

fun fact: i was suddenly hit with inspiration to make this since it was atsushi's birthday recently