1-Close Call

It's been three years.

Three years since everything went to shit.

Three years since he was last in touch with his family.

Three years of shit that he wishes upon nobody.

And yet here he is, out with one of his companions on a mission to scavenge yet again.

He had useful skills, he taught them many things, he was just waiting until they reverted back to how most humans did, he just waited for them to throw him out.

"You know the drill." His friend said as they heard screaming, the two stopping the vehicles they managed to upgrade a bit.

"Yeah yeah, just be glad that i'm still light enough not to break any branches." The other replied, pulling back his long curls that hadn't been cut in years.

His companion scoffed, playfully hitting the back of his friend's head. As the two grabbed weapons they quickly moved toward the sounds of screams.

As the two made it to the small clearing, they were met with the sight of destruction, a sight that no matter how many times they saw it, they still grew terrified, despite how everyone else saw the two.

The first male, now seen to have dark skin, counted how many humans he could see.

"There's five." he said to his companion, his eyes catching onto one who was due to be killed any second by the large hoard of two hundred that swarmed the clearing, the male had his back to a vehicle, shooting zombies but running out and not taking notice to the growing crowd behind the car, trying to push it over. He had to act quick.

The dark skinned male started climbing a tree, one who's branches hung over the car, balancing messily to move hastily to get to the one who was bound to die.

It was several more seconds before he dropped on top of one of the zombies that got too close, startling the male beside him, who took note of a mask that covered the lower half of his face, though he was still on guard, he didn't have anymore energy as the other grabbed him and tossed him out of the way of an oncoming zombie, getting pushed just out of the way as the car fell over, crushing a majority of the zombies as the unfamiliar make backed away as well, shooting with a silver gun that was blemished in some place, managing to get every single zombie down.

"What are you doing?!" The male was brought out of his trance when the darker male yelled at him "Get up, dumbass!" The male also noticed a slight wince when the darker placed weight on his left foot, maybe from jumping out of a tree.

The masked darker groaned when he realized the other was too tired to comprehend anything. So he backed off of the onslaught of zombies to grab the other and toss him up, where he barley managed to grab onto a tree branch, staying there as the other on the ground looked around to see that his companion was getting everyone else up into a tree.

Going through a mental map of his brain, he remembered a family that died earlier that year, they laid traps all around the forest for large hoards, thousands of ropes in the same area to snag the undead. Reaching into his pocket, he managed to find a flare, something he had to be equipped with at all times, and fired it at a hard patch in the ground, almost hissing at the light that threatened to permanently blind him from such a close range, but it got the job done, the hoard, which had dwindled to a mere hundred, turned toward the male, who took off running into the forest, the hoard following quickly.

All that was heard was leaves crunching and heavy steps as the male sprinted as fast as he could, pain shooting up his leg as he stepped on his injured foot. Though, he had to keep going. He watched the ground closely, dodging left and right as he spotted uneven piles of leaves, hearing the satisfying crunch as the traps ensnared their prey, soon enough leaving only him, who turned around so fast that he was sure the pain that his his foot was unbearable, but he kept going on, running with more speed as adrenaline overpowered his veins, making it back to the sight of the clearing knowing that his companion would have probably taken all of the people in the trees, but he still had to check, thee were times, he missed people.

This was one of those times. The man he saved and another were in separate trees, the one who almost died had his hands hanging loosely toward the forest floor he might have passed out, but his eyes were wide and open, refusing to close.

The other, a male with glasses that seemed to have been repaired with band aids and sticks, his brown hair shining with sweat as he clung to the branches so hard his knuckles were a pale white, the male was quiet, as if he was listening for something.

"Glasses boy, get down here!" The masked male said, climbing the tree where the other exhausted male lay "I need your help."

The male's eyes, which had been closed, snapped open as he spotted the male, who, from his perspective, seemed to be picking something up ready to drop. He quickly hopped down and ran over, surprised to see that his friend, who he though was dead, crushed by the car, was alive and passed out.

"No fucking way." he breathed, catching the male as he was dropped "How-"

"I'll explain later, we have to get out of here." The male said "You want to carry him?"

The glasses male nodded, unsure of the male, but seeming to trust him as the two jogged to one of the vehicles, which the darker's companion had left for him, feeling that he would come back.

"Seat him in, I'll get this thing started." He instructed, the other nodding and placing his friend into the back seat, buckling him in with a rusty buckle that still worked.

The masked male started hearing more noises, ones he could identify as he started up the fuel hungry Side By Side, the vehicle loud as the glasses male jumped in wide-eyed as he spotted more Zombies coming their way.

The masked male pulled himself in and pressed the gas peddle as the zombies grabbed at the back of the vehicle, their hands torn off as the driver made a sharp turn around and ran over the three zombies, the entire vehicle jumping up as it crushed the skulls of the infected.

It was silent at first, the glasses male making sure his friend was okay, only passed out, exhausted. He looked over to see that the masked male was wincing and shaking his left foot a bit.

"Are you okay?" he asked the male

"Phil's gonna be pissed at me." Was all he got in reply.