Chapter 1

Hi everyone,

I am so excited for the release of this work which has been in the planning stages for a very long time. That being said there is plenty more to come. I've got a whole universe in the works and di hope you will get the chance to see it.

I'm so prepared in fact that I've got an entire discord server ready to greet you all

https://discord.gg/YxKATW9GrJ

Join in on Clashing Webs for general discussions and updates character bio's and direct way to ask me questions on this work. ( This is also a casual server so no need to continue reading the story to stay)

With all that out of the way I am proud to introduce Genesis: The Beginning

     It had been a while since Matt had come around Fogwells. Been a while since he was back in the kitchen. But Battlin' Jack Murdock did not die for his kid to keep fighting. He died to give him a chance. To be better and not dragged down by the fight.

        Matt opens the old gym door. The air flows around differently than when he had last been here. Granted that was when he had last left for Columbia. It would be silly to not expect things to change. Matt's senses pick up on the ending of a fight quartered off in the corner of the mostly open floor plan.

"Well if it isn't Matty. How have you been kid."

Matt turns his body to where he can hear a familiar heartbeat, "Hey Rudy."

"You here looking for a fight or ya just gonna stand there looking pretty" A playful tone that's been scarce of the old boxers lips, even during his childhood.

"Well if you're offering a fight-"

The door swung open again cutting off the playful banter. It was hard to get a read on this person, really a kid, their clothes were too baggy joints a bit squeaky and there was definitely an asthma rattle in the kid's lungs. But even with all that, they stood strong shoulders squared. Matt's certain they was mean mugging Rudy.

"I told ya, Pete," Rudy's voice lost its playful tone becoming tired, "Fogwells ain't a place to learn, wrestle with some friends, or go to an actual class. There ain't no teachers for ya here."

The kid's- Pete's jaw clenched his shoulders tense as he walked back out of the gym. Muttering words about being back again and not gonna give up. What a spitfire.

"Who was that Rudy"

Another tired sigh drew it's way from Rudy's lips."That was Mary's kid. You remember her, she came around whole lot 'cause her job."

He remembered Mary. She was real kind and had helped Matt out a bit with his schoolwork when Jack was training. It helped that she could read braille. He also remembered how she just disappeared one day without a trace. It's hard to live in Hell's Kitchen with super hearing and not know the local gossip. If anything from just sensing the kid for such a short time Matt knew he wasn't going to give up.

"How often does he come around"

"Every few days or so why you asking"

"Just some curiosity Rudy don't go worrying about it, at your age it can't be good for ya"

"That so hop up in the ring kid, This old man still has a few fights left."

"I'll stick to the bags for tonight Rudy, thanks" Matt had some thinking to do revolving around Peter.

----        Peter kicked a loose bit of concrete down the street. Thoughts about old promises from faces he can't remember and a window he only dreams of.

"Once you get to be ten. I'll bring you over to the gym right across the street. You'll learn all the fighting you want, from me and your dad, and who knows maybe Old Rudy will pitch in. How does that sound?"

He can't help but feel like he missed a big opportunity. Who knows what would have happened if his Mom was still around. If he wasn't left alone to grow up surrounded by nuns.

Speaking of the nuns, Sister Maggie was going to be mad if she found he snuck out. But in reality, if the Sisters didn't want him sneaking out why did they put him in the room with a broken window latch. Huh. Check and mate. Maybe there was a reason he was almost always in trouble.

Even with superheroes like Iron Man and Captain America around Hell's Kitchen is still a mess at night. Without training, Peter knows he's gonna die trying to fix things. So, he holds on to dead promises and that hope that every kid has. Maybe he'll actually get somewhere.

For now, Peter pulls his hood up over his face a bit more, slumps his shoulders, and prays that one of the Sisters hasn't done room checks yet. Something is coming his way and he can't tell what it is yet, so it's best to be ready. After all, it's no use boarding up after the storm.