III.

"DO YOU HAVE TO GIVE THOSE BACK TO HER?" Hotch asks, a frown plastered on his face as he watches Everest get her belongings back from the warden

"DO YOU HAVE TO GIVE THOSE BACK TO HER?" Hotch asks, a frown plastered on his face as he watches Everest get her belongings back from the warden. Her clothes were folded and tucked neatly into a bag, while an assortment of knives and daggers were contained in a separate bag. He had no problem with her getting her clothes back, but the daggers were a different story.

"What kind of question is that?" Everest asks Hotch. A rare smile graces her face as she holds up her favourite dagger under the fluorescent lights of the prison, inspecting it for any damage. Taking her clothes from the bag, she looks at Hotch expectantly.

"Is there a problem?" He asks, unsure of what the holdup was.

"I need to change." She answers as if it weren't obvious already. "Are you going to give me some privacy or are you expecting me to strip down in front of you?"

Hotch shifts uncomfortably, turning around to face the concrete wall of the prison. With his back towards Everest, her fingers begin to unbutton the prison uniform. The second condition of their agreement involved Everest not leaving his sight, but Hotch respected her privacy and kept his eyes closed as he waited for her.

Pulling on the black mini dress she was wearing when she was arrested, Everest runs her hands over the expensive fabric. Slipping her black knee-high boots on, she lets Hotch know that it was safe to turn around now.

The hem of her dress was pulled up as she strapped her knives onto the outside of her bare thigh, making Hotch frown in disapproval.

Hotch asks, "How many knives do you need?"

"All of them."

She hands the prison uniform back to one of the guards, following Hotch's lead as they join the others. Everest noticed their lingering stares, which seemed to take in every inch of her appearance. She took no offence to it, knowing that bounty hunters had a reputation for being untidy and grubby.

Everest was the furthest thing from a conventional bounty-hunter. Old men with a military background carrying rifles dominated her field and yet she made a name for herself as one of the best in the industry.

She notices a lanky man staring at her with wide eyes, unsure whether he should approach her—or even look in her direction. As Everest meets his eyes, he looks down at the ground in an attempt to avoid her gaze.

"I don't bite—unless you ask, of course." Everest tries to alleviate his nerves with a joke, but Spencer doesn't seem to get it. He clears his throat, looking at the man standing next to him.

"SSA Emily Prentiss." Emily is the first one to introduce herself, not letting Everest's reputation scare her off.

"Violet Everest." She shakes her hand, silently appreciating that Emily wasn't deterred from her crimes—or if she was, she certainly hid it well.