Tip 12: Timing!

HI!

I'm back~

Anyways, I think we all have seen some fics that go too quickly.

Fast burn if you will!

Or maybe not and it's just the way in which the author is story telling.

Perhaps you think you're going too fast?

Well let me clear some things up for you!

For stories, tend to write in minutes and not hours.

Write about the character's feelings and overall outlook on the situation.

An example:

I grabbed my bag and went out the door and into my car. God I hate my mum so much ugh! I walk out the car and into the cafe and see my friend there waving. We then go out the cafe after lunch and go to the movies.

Now that is bad! You can see why, right? If not let me explain why: the author is skipping vital moments in the characters development.

Mystery is good but don't blatantly write that the character hates a person without reason, or state why in a dull manner.

Instead try doing this:

I hated her... the way she spoke to me like I was nothing more than worthless... those glaring eyes boring into my back every second of her day. She didn't want me, god, that was obvious from her curled lips that morphed a sinister smile every moment of failure I presented on a silver platter for her to pick on. I didn't want her, she knew that, but before I could get out, before I could leave this all behind I needed to withstand each belittling comment.

See? Better!

Now, timing; take a moment and get your head into the characters mindset. What do they feel, see, hear, taste, smell.

Let's try this again:

My boots stormed out the door, metal keys rattling in the sling clung onto my finger. Her yelling subsided moments after the door slammed shut, locking under her control. My heart pounded with adrenaline, begging to leave the alcohol laced air I saw nothing more than a temporary house, not a home like it should be.

Thoughts drifted about as I stood by my car, waiting, thinking, gazing. I saw it fit to just run back up to run away, but I couldn't, not at this age, god no...

Something soothing would help... tea, coffee, maybe even a small pastry. Lilia would help, she always helped so why would she stop now?

Grabbing the handle, I pried open the drivers door and clambered inside, slinging my bag to the back and revving the engine to life.

Okay now tell me that wasn't better??

Anyways I hope this helps!

- Anna ❤️