Chapter 6.

The rest of (M/N)'s first year of Hogwarts was rather uneventful. He had sent a few letters back and forth with his parents every now and again and Draco was the same as ever. Obsessed with Mr. Harry Potter, the one and only. It was honestly both annoying and rather amusing at that point.

The most interesting thing that had happened was that one time on Halloween where there had been a troll in the dungeon. (M/N) remembered it all like it was yesterday. The dining hall was nicely decorated, floating pumpkins everywhere, lights galore and a feast of only the finest food followed by a dessert that would land every eleven-year-old on a cotton candy cloud nine. The soft crackling of the fire in the background was really helping to set the mood. Even (M/N) had found himself enjoy it. For once he had put down his normally monotone façade in exchange for smiles and laughter at the table with the rest of house.

Even Draco had noticed the change in his friend. Though he could only be happy on his behalf, Draco knew full well how difficult it was for (M/N) to come out of his shell. After all, Draco felt somewhat the same way. Responsibility could lay heavily on one's shoulders. Especially if those shoulders belonged to an eleven-year-old boy.

Just as peaceful laughter settled in the large dining hall, the doors had burst open. A man in loose robes and a headwrap had run in, calling out loud. "Troll! In the dungeon!" He exclaimed, running between the long tables full of students whose happy smiles had to turned to confused and scared expressions. As the teacher, who (M/N) had finally recognised as professor Quirinus Quirrell, passed out just in front of the teacher's tables, chaos seemed to erupt.

Heaps of children were screaming, all standing and running for the exit, the first riling up the second and so on. Even (M/N) had felt his heart beating faster and slowly travelling to his throat instead. His hands were clammy, and he had stood as well, though in silence.

Before any more panic could spread and cause more trouble than it already had, Dumbledore had stood up, demanding silence and respect with a single exclamation of 'silence'. The word had rung through the entire dining hall, bouncing off of the walls and down to all four houses students who all seemed to freeze at the notion. As the students had awaited further instruction, Dumbledore wasted no time gaining control of the situation, ordering everyone to go to their common rooms until further notice.

(M/N) had relaxed for a moment before pausing. The Slytherin common room was located in the dungeon. How on earth would that be safe, the young wizard remembered thinking as he was guided off along with the rest of the Slytherin students.

Draco could be heard in the background, complaining loudly about how the safety of Hogwarts surely had gone downhill if a troll could just get in here. He even added a snarky remark about how he'd complain to his father so the ministry could have a serious talk with Dumbledore about keeping all the students safe.

Though (M/N)'s mind seemed to be elsewhere as they passed the group of Gryffindor students being hurried off towards the tower. Something was off. Someone was missing, (M/N) thought to himself before being confirmed in his rising suspicion as he saw a certain redhead run off with the all too famous Harry Potter. As the two disappeared towards the girl's bathroom, (M/N) had paused, complaints being heard from his fellow Slytherin's about him being in the way. He wanted to follow them. He felt a burning need to figure out what they were doing. But before the (blonde, ginger, ravenette, brunette) could step forward, Draco had grabbed his arm.

"Where are you going? Didn't you hear Dumbledore?" Draco hurried. Even though Draco was doing his best to hide it, there was a slight tremble to his voice. The tight grip on (M/N)'s arm only made it more apparent. Draco was absolutely terrified. Sighing a bit, (M/N) shook his head. It was his duty as a friend to go with Draco. Screw what Potter and his friend were doing. Draco truly had rubbed off on him. Why should (M/N) care about them? They'd rejected his and Draco's friendship right off the bat, so why did (M/N) feel a strange sense of guilt leaving them behind, strayed away from the Gryffindor group?