SITW 02

Seconds turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours, hours turned to days, and days turned to months. I had built a bond with you way far out than I thought our chance-on at the rooftop would lead.

During those times when there were too many random agonizing thoughts ruminating inside your head, I was there to bandage you with a conversation enough to enwrap your reverie with good ones.

"Hey, did I disturb your sleep?" you'd say over the other line, voice trailing off as usual.

"Hindi naman. Do you need anything?" I'd always respond, though I just got home from my part-time job and only had a few hours of sleep for our graveyard shift.

"I couldn't seem to sleep again. Sorry, I'd been bugging you every day. I couldn't think of anyone else to phone other than you." The Heavens' have been receiving my wish for you to call me now and then as well, so I guess we could call it quits.

"Ok lang, ano ka ba. So, how was your day? Oh, wait, did you skip your lunch again?" Sad that it's only at work where I could force you not to skip a meal. Had we been neighbors, then I'd be nagging you on an hourly or worse secondly basis.

In the events when your friends search for someone to fetch you from the bar for being too wasted to sober yourself up and go home, I was there.

"Pasensya ka na talaga, ikaw lang kasi 'yong nasa contacts niya na palagi niyang katawagan kaya ikaw na lang din tinawagan namin para sunduin siya," said by your usual companions at every time you'd hammer yourself with a variety of liquors and staying up all night at the bar till the sun rises.

"Ayos lang, wala rin naman akong ginagawa," I'd usually say, hence my frequent tardiness on my part-time job.

"Sige, iwan na namin kayo. Ingat, ah?"

"Sige, ingat din kayo. Ako na'ng bahala sa kanya." To tell them frankly, I didn't know how I could take you home with your case—leaving me with no options but grab a taxi though it would cost me much more than the allowance I portion for my daily transportation.

On such days when you were too sick to function well, I was there.

"Why do you sound so off? Are you okay?" I'd ask whenever your voice appears unsound to me.

"Ubo't sinat lang, I'd be fine. There's no need for you to worry about me." Oh, did I ever tell you I wanted to take care of you to the extent of waiting for hand and foot for you even on my hectic days?

"I'm on my way there. And please, do me a favor, don't tire yourself too much. As much as possible, stay in your bed till I get there, okay? Baka lumala 'yan." It was a hectic day for me, for I just got off from my work when you called for our everyday how-was-your-day talk.

For all the instances when you have no one else to turn to, I was there. As so, you were there when I was the one in need of someone.

For all the times that I needed a company for my countless other sidelines-my business escapades, you were there.

"Where are you? Care to grab a bite?" you'd ask any time you're free or when it's our rest day.

"Paalis ako ngayon, eh. Kailangan kong bumili sa Taytay ng mga damit para sa online business ko." Been doing that every weekend or any time I'm off with both my part-time job and our work.

"Can you give me at least an hour to wash up and be there to accompany you? Free kasi ako today. Tulungan na rin kita sa pagbubuhat, I'm sure you'd be buying loads of stocks, eh?"

"Sure ka ba?" 'Course I'd ask, although I'd be disappointed if you'd take your words back.

"Never been more sure. Sige na, I'll hang up the call. Hintayin mo na lang ako r'yan. I'll be there without you knowing." And that led me to titter as if someone would see that I had to contain my giggles when the truth is, I was alone in my flat.

Whenever times occur when I suddenly feel so lost as if everything in my world's falling and as if nothing's turning in my favor, you were there.

"You'd been so quiet the whole day, parang hindi ikaw 'yong kasama ko," you'd point out on my whole day of a hush.

"I fell short for the money I should be using for my unit's amortization this coming month. Nanghiram kasi 'yong kapatid ko kasi may sakit 'yong anak niya, hindi ko naman mahindian." If there's one thing I couldn't turn down, no matter how much it would leave me short for my own needs, that would be my family.

"Magkano kulang mo? I'd cover up for it. Pay me back whenever." You weren't any close to a deity, but you literally saved me. Both from that thing in particular and from being alone-that had I wish I had made a move to befriend you earlier than months ago.

And on those random days when I felt empty and when the world seemed to weigh me down, you were there.

"Why the hell are you so down these past few days? Hindi ako sanay." We became so close, even the slightest dullness in my eyes was evidence of sadness on your part.

"Wala. May naalala lang ako. Bar tayo mamaya, g? It's on me." Times come when thoughts just come wandering in circles inside my mind, and the least I could do was to drink myself into oblivion.

"Ano'ng iniisip mo?"

"Baliw. Wala lang to 'no."

You have this hobby of wanting to know everything about me, whereas I have this hobby of sharing only what I want you to know about me.