Standing up for you

Fifteen-year-old Ruby was the victim of cruel “ugly duck” jokes until a boy humiliated the jokers.

It was just another day. As lunch bell drew Ruby to the cafeteria, she became the centre of attention again.

The daily ritual by Megan, started with her smirk.

“If it isn't our dearest Miss Quack waddling in.”

“Man, she's so ugly. I bet people by the pond throw bread crumbs at her instead of the ducks,” quipped Henry James, pretending to whisper.

“Makes me wonder what you are still doing around us. Nobody likes you.”

The others followed. Someone went as far as to produce a quacking sound.

After a few more jabs and nudges, they stood in a mocking silence.

Ruby, trying to fit in, twisted her mouth into a crooked sort of smile. Looking at it, they burst out laughing.

“Yet, you have to ask the same ugly, duck-like girl to do your work without which you won't even get an E,” drifted a cool voice, rare and memorable, “Makes me wonder, what you are still doing around here.”

Rex Allen didn't talk or associate with others. And he, for sure, didn't meddle.

Perhaps for this reason, even Megan, the most poised of all, spluttered along with everyone else.

Without waiting for any retaliation, Rex walked out. And the mysterious, albeit false, rumours that surrounded the new transfer, kept everyone quiet.

Over the years, Ruby had learnt something important. Never be in debt of a high-schooler. Especially, when it's any form of kindness.

She ran out to the corridor where he was walking and asked,

“So, what kind of assistance do I have to return?”

“None.”

He kept walking.

“Then why did you...?”

“Standing up for you until you do it yourself.”

Giving her a quick glance, he turned around the corner and went out of sight, his words lingering in the air.

___________________