The joy of common things

The sky was changing colours every few moments. Around late afternoon it was baby blue, then a tinge of pink and purple. And now, a fading orange.

Waves came washing the shore, leaving behind shells. Someone collected them. A child shrieked in the distance as some people fell into peals of laughter. 

The mellow glow of the sun was soothing, the sound of the waves like music to my ears.

The feel of the warm sand beneath my feet made me release the softest of sighs.

And not to forget, the coconut in my hands. Summer days without coconut water are incomplete.

This was what I had meant when I had said a break.

A calm moment at the beach.

Well, not so calm seeing the crowd of people on my either side. But it was what it was. And it was just what I wanted.

Of course, this moment of serenity wasn't going to last.

It was too good to be true.

A gust blew by making my sunhat cover half of my face. As I tried to fix it in its place, a shadow loomed over me. Someone was standing in front of me.

I jerked, settling a quiet shriek in my throat as my heart started beating fast. An urge to do something overwhelmed me. But what I did might not have been the right course of action.

I punched the person.

Looking at him now, he was Daiki Treyes. The most recent transfer student at our high school. And apparently rumoured to be the son of a millionaire. Or was it a billionaire?

I couldn't remember. Regardless, what I did know was that the same guy was standing in front of me, his dark brown bangs covering his forehead as he clutched his nose in pain and asked something. 

“Ow…wha—why did you do…that?”

“Oh…um…oops! Sorry?”

He just shook his head, but when it made his nose hurt more, he tried to stand still.

“Why were you creeping up on me?”

I questioned, suspicious. What was he doing here? Ok, that wasn't a good question, but, in truth, why was he creeping up on me?

“Wasn't! Just asking for a phone. I don't have mine.”

“That makes more sense,” nodding, I handed him my phone, “Sorry, does it hurt too much?”

Glaring at me, he took the phone, dialling a number, but then he stopped. Thinking something else.

“If I asked you to tell me about…uhm…what to do on a beach, would you tell?”

“No,” I replied, my voice flat.

“I can pay you for it.”

That was indeed an interesting offer. Was it worth giving up on her only calm and quiet? No…but…

“No.”

“But you hurt me.”

He couldn't play that card, could he?

“That is not reason enough.”

I watched as his shoulders dropped, running out of ideas. He looked around at the people as they had their fun of summer, clueless. But there was something to it. As if he didn't know how to enjoy a day on the beach. He was confused.

Hesitant, I asked,

“Have…have you never been to a beach?”

He turned his head away and mumbled something in shame.

“I can't hear you, Treyes.”

He mumbled again, scratching the back of his neck.

“I still can't hear you.”

“Private beaches, been to private beaches,” he said, without looking at me, avoiding my inquisitive eyes.

“You mean that you've never actually enjoyed the delicacies and joys of a regular beach?”

Sighing, he shook his head, “And I...have difficulty talking in English.”

That I knew, but I was incredulous. This boy was deprived of this? That was wrong. And it was enough reason for me to help this guy.

“Well, what're we waiting for? Let's start with a nice coconut for you,” I said, tugging him along, “I hope the money offer is still on the table."

The dull throb in his nose was long forgotten now in the excitement of doing this. It didn't matter that we hadn't even talked to each other before this. We were just two teens, at a beach on a midsummer evening, getting to know each other and the world around us.

And surprisingly enough, we found a strange surge of happiness in the other's presence. Or at least, I sure did.

Learning and teaching the joy of common things and bonding something strange and strong over coconuts and cotton candies.