8

You hovered on the landing for a moment, trying to listen past the door for any sound of snoring before you walked in. From outside the door though, it sounded quiet. Still, you took your free hand to gently rap your knuckles on the wood of the door. "Sapnap?" You called quietly, gently pushing the door open.

"Hello?"

A groggy voice drifted out from the room and you peered around the edge of the door. Inside, the sun had risen enough that your little attic room was bathed in a golden glow, the sunbeams streaming in through the windows, illuminating the little dust motes that floated through the air. On the spare bed, Sapnap was just stirring, pushing himself up from where he had been sprawled out on his stomach. His eyes darted to you - and you saw an edge of fear in them for a moment - before his gaze zeroed in on the plate of eggs you were holding.

"Oh." You said, walking over to set them on the sidetable next to the spare bed. "Breakfast for you. Do you need help sitting up, or-"

Sapnap hoisted himself into a sitting position, swinging his legs over the edge of the bed and wincing when his ankle touched the ground. He didn't seem to care that much though, more interested in basically inhaling the eggs, shoveling them into his mouth like a starved man.

Though based on how you had found him, you weren't quite sure he wasn't.

You crossed the room (not that it was too far - only a few steps) and sat down on the edge of your bed, just watching as Sapnap finished off the plate of eggs in record time. You played with the edge of the blanket underneath you, still slightly rumpled from where you had really only half-made the bed an hour ago.

Sapnap set the plate down with a clatter back on the nightstand, sighing happily as he flopped back down onto the bed - leaving his bad foot dangling off the side. "That might have been the best plate of eggs I've ever had."

"I'll tell Perkins you liked it." You said. For a second, you paused, and then, "How's the ankle holding up?"

Sapnap's eyes darted down to his foot and then back to you, shrugging. "Fine. Probably better now that it's not crammed into my boot."

You nodded, trying to determine of the swelling had gone down any now that it could breathe. It was hard to tell with everything wrapped up as it was though - Anne had done a good job. "I can bring some ice up from the icebox if you want." You offered. "It'll probably melt at some point, but it might help..."

"You don't have to." Sapnap said. "I already feel bad enough that you had to bring me breakfast."

"I'm not just going to leave you up here alone all day though." You said. "Hopefully I'll be in and out when I can get away from the piano for a while."

Sapnap's face fell at that, and he sat up again, looking you in the eye. "Please don't leave your work to come look after me. I feel bad enough that you and your friend had to lug me up the stairs last night and bandage up my ankle and all that, but I promise I'll be alright while you're working." He paused. "Please don't worry your pretty head about me."

Your heart pulled in your chest at the genuineness of his words. There was no way someome this considerate and warm could have bad intentions - there was no way the wanted advertisement you had seen in the paper was talking about Sapnap. He hadn't even been here for a full day yet, and already, he was more thoughtful than some people you had known for years.

"It's not any trouble, I promise." You said. "I usually take breaks anyway, and I would worry too much if I didn't come check every now and again. I still feel bad that you're going to be sitting up here alone all day." You glanced around the small room, looking for anything that might serve to distract him for the day. "I have books, if you'd like them."

Sapnap suddenly looked sheepish. "I, ah, can't read. But thank you for the offer."

"Oh." You felt bad for asking now. "I'm sure we could find something else-"

"No, it's alright." Sapnap interrupted you gently. "I was probably going to sleep through most of the day anyway... healing time and all." He smiled thinly after the comment - probably trying to ease your mind more than his own.

It didn't work.

"Well..." You said. "If you're sure..."

"Don't worry about me." Sapnap said, smiling again. "And thank you again for breakfast."

"It's no trouble." You said, getting up to fetch the now empty plate from where he had set it back down on the nightstand. "I'll be back up later with some lunch as well. And ice for that ankle, probably." You made your way over to the door, resting one hand on the doorhandle as you looked back at Sapnap.

In the morning sunlight, splayed out across the spare bed like he was, Sapnap almost looked like he belonged. He grinned once more at you, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "Alright. Do you think I'll be able to hear the piano from up here?"

"Oh - I don't know." You said. "Maybe if you're quiet enough." You smiled.

Sapnap cast one last lingering glance at you before you were slipping out the door, closing it softly behind you. Plate in hand, you hovered on the landing for a moment. Hopefully Sapnap wouldn't get too bored in that tiny room...

You cast another glance behind you at the now closed door to your room. The piano was rather loud - loud enough to fill the whole saloon floor at least. Who's to say it couldn't be heard from the attic as well? You'd have to ask him when you snuck upstairs later...

Against your better judgement, you knew that it wouldn't be that long before you found an excuse to come check on him again.