25

You tore away from the saloon on horseback, Nick's arms around you as he held onto the reins, spurring the animal faster. Nick guided the horse around the side of the building, galloping past all the other animals that were tied up outside until you came to the road and the front of the saloon.

On the porch, a few of your regular patrons were enjoying their drinks as they watched passerby wander on their own ways for the day. You couldn't even make out the mens faces as you sped past them, causing shouts as you joined the traffic on the main road, cutting in front of pedestrians and other horses alike.

You gripped onto the front of the saddle, heart pumping too fast behind your ribs. You were running on pure adrenaline. "Nick?"

"Don't worry 'bout it darlin'." Nick said, adjusting his grip on the reins so that he could hold them on one hand, his other now free one coming to rest across your stomach, holding you in place as you raced on. "I've got you."

The hand on your stomach kept you in the saddle sure, but it did nothing against the sure of butterflies that raced upwards from the touch, fluttering around your insides, only fueled by the nerves that were already pumping through you. You were doing this. This was the kind of thing they only talked about on radio shows, or in those stories you could find at the back of the paper - real people didn't do this.

Yet here you were, holding on for dear life as Nick tore through town, the Sheriff on your tail.

Nick let out another rumbling laugh a cart swerved out of your way, spilling it's contents into the dirt. Hay bales rolled down the street alongside you for a few paces before they flopped on their sides. The angry shouts of the man who had been pushing the cart followed you as you ducked around a corner, heading down a side street now.

Exhilaration on your breath, you laughed as you whipped past buildings and people alike. Sure, you were terrified, but this was a little bit fun - until you almost bounced off the horse as it sped up.

Nick urged the horse faster, and you gripped onto the saddle more. "Wha-"

"We're being tailed, sunshine, don't know if you noticed." Nick said, a hint of that rough voice that he had snapped at you with coming back, though this time not directed at you. He was focused on the road ahead, swerving around pedestrians and townsfolk as best he could.

You took the opportunity to cast a glance behind you, over Nick's shoulder. Through the dust you were kicking up, you could see the Sheriff a ways behind you, riding hard. His eyes were steely under the brim of his hat, and focused in on you. For a moment, you made eye contact, and a shiver ran down your spine.

Sure, the running was fun, but only if you didn't get caught.

"There wouldn't happen to be a train track nearby, would there?" Nick's voice in your ear brought your attention back to the road in front of you. "A quick escape would be nice."

Your eyes turned to the buildings around you, quickly mapping out where you were in the town, and where you would need to go to get to the train tracks - hopefully there would be a train running. A quick glance up at the sky gave you a hint to the time.

If you were quick, you could catch the end of the midday train.

You let go of the saddle to place your hands on the reins, taking control of the horse from Nick. He let you (as you were the one who would be able to get you both to the train), instead moving his hands to grip onto the saddle, still caging you in somewhat. It was a comfort when he didn't move his arms too far - you wouldn't fall off this crazy ride if he could help it.

Yanking on the reins, you guided the horse around a tight corner, praying the animal didn't fall over and send the whole operation toppling to the ground. Nick was almost thrown off the back of the saddle, but he held on, gripping onto your hip. The turn was tight, but in the end you made it, speeding down a little alley that would spit you out onto the street that would take you towards the tracks.

Behind you, Nick burst into laughter, looking over his shoulder. "Old man just fell off his goddamn horse." He said, squeezing your hip gently - a silent 'good job'.

You couldn't fight the grin building on your face, even though just a day ago you would have died if you knocked the sheriff off his horse. Things were different now - the last hour or so had turned your entire world upside down, and you doing the best you could to just take it in stride.

So far, you didn't think you were doing a half bad job.

You urged the horse faster, wind whipping around you as you sped down the alleyway, the steady rhythm of the horses hooves hitting the ground bouncing off the walls of the buildings to create a sort of echo around you. Darting between the buildings, it seemed like you were going faster than you were, your laughter bouncing off the backs of buildings.

Nick's hands moved from where he had been holding onto the saddle to circle around your waist, holding on as you sped through the alley. "I missed this kind of thing." Nick said.

"Running away from the authorities?" You asked.

"Just running." Nick said, squeezing lightly. Even though you could only see a sliver of him out of the corner of your eye, you didn't miss the small smile gracing his face as he savored the ffeeling of the wind rushing through his hair.

In that moment, it felt like you could fly.