29

You passed the rest of the day in the train car, watching the desert roll by as you got farther away from Blooming Rose. After a bit, you couldn't even see the tops of the buildings anymore - the horizon swallowed it and it was like the town had never existed at all.

The train didn't stop, even as the sun began to fall and the heat began to simmer low on the ground. You helped Nick close the car doors, trapping the heat that was still in there inside. It could get cold in the desert at night, and keeping all the heat that you could inside the car would be handy.

Plus, if you made any stops in the night, having the doors closed would probably save your tails.

With the car doors closed, the only light able to worm its way in was from the cracks around the doors, casting streaks across the car floor. You spread the blankets Anne had packed out across the ground, cushioning it some before you and Nick sprawled out, just laying as the train car gently shifted back and forth on the track.

For a while, it was quiet. You just laid on the blanket next to Nick, barely a sliver of space between you. Your lips still tingled from where Nick's own had been pressed against them, and you traced a finger over the outline in the semi-darkness, committing it to memory.

"You keep touchin' your face." Nick said, his voice low and soft.

"Sorry." You returned, dropping your hand back to the ground. "I just-"

"If you want me to kiss you again, you can just say."

Nick rolled onto his side halfway, a joking glint in his eyes. You paid it no mind though, rolling onto your side and pressing forward, sealing your lips against his. Nick groaned low in his throat as he met you in the middle. It hadn't been more than a few hours since he had kissed you the first time, but once he had started, he hadn't stopped.

When he pulled away now, he stayed on his side, just looking at you for a moment. You did the same, eyes mapping out the familiar planes of his face - the slope of his nose, the way his eyes crinkled at the corners, the gentle upturn to his mouth. Reaching out, you brushed a hand down the side of his face, cradling. Jones's words from earlier played in your mind. "Bonnie and Clyde, huh?"

Nick sighed. "I s'pose." He said. "I didn't want it like this, but I'll take what I can get."

"Like this?" You asked, unsure of what he meant.

"I didn't mean to rope you into all this." Nick said. "In my head, I would get my name cleared before I said anything 'bout how I felt to you, and then I could come back with money, and a name for myself. I didn't want to force you into a life of crime for me."

You smiled, running your hand back up his jaw to brush a lock of hair behind his ear. "I think I'm alright with a life on the run." You said. "It's more exciting than sitting behind a piano anyway."

"Really?" Nick said, searching your eyes. "You're alright with this?"

"Well, enough." You said. "It isn't right that you had to resort to thievery to try and protect your family farm. It isn't right that Jones was ready to shoot us, even though he's supposed to just bring us in. I could definitely do worse morally."

"You're going to be doing a lot worse financially." Nick said.

"I've roughed it out before." You said. "And if this is the kind of life I'm looking at for the forseeable future, I'm okay with that." Living from traincar to traincar moving through the desert as you pleased didn't sound too bad. You could move from town to town, never staying too long of course, doing odd jobs and working the bar pianos in exchange for enough coin to restock on your supplies. There wouldn't be fresh eggs every morning, but there would be Nick.

He would be enough, you thought.

"If you're sure." Nick said.

"I'm sure." You said.

For a moment, it was quiet, and then Nick was rolling onto his stomach and slinging an arm over you. He sighed, deep and heady as his eyes drifted to half mast, simply gazing at you.

You leaned into the touch, continuing your petting through his hair. "Tired?"

"Very much so." Nick yawned. "Making a daring escape from the sheriff takes a lot outta you."

You hummed, smiling as you watched Nick's eyes begin to drift fully closed, his whole body relaxing as you kept up your steady petting through his hair, smoothing out the tangled strands. He really was just a big puppy at heart - even if the circumstances were different and you hadn't run into Nick the way you had, you were sure that you would have ended up feeling the same (perhaps even sooner).

Nick bit back another yawn, fighting to keep his eyes open. "M'sorry it's not more comfortable..."

"Nick." You said, a little bit exasperated. "If I didn't want to be here, I would have let the sheriff take me in."

"I know but-"

"Don't worry your pretty little head about me." You finished, scratching behind his ear.

Nick sighed, nuzzling his face into the crook of your neck to trail little kisses up your jaw as you kept up your ministrations, his eyes finally drifting all the way closed. You could feel his breathing even out as he drifted off into dreamland, but you kept the petting up anyway, enjoying the feeling of his hair sifting through your fingers. He looked so content, curled up against you on the blanket, his head buried in the soft skin of your shoulder. You shifted to press a kiss to his forehead.

After all that had happened, it was nice to be able to touch him.