9

It was only a few hours later that you found yourself making your way back up the stairs with a plate of food and a bag of ice in hand, leaving the chatter of the lunch patrons behind you. You'd really had to force yourself not to slip away earlier - at every moment your mind seemed to drift back to the little attic room above you. It was all too easy to get wrapped up in the thought of Sapnap while your fingers danced on their own on the piano keys. 

Still, when Anne had tapped you on the shoulder and told you to take a break, you'd tried not to seem too eager.

You could still hear the chatter from the floor as you made your way upstairs, the wood creaking under your feet - though the words themselves were indistinguishable. Perhaps he had been able to hear the music then. You hoped so. He must have been incredibly bored up there by himself.

Reaching the landing, you knocked on the door before cracking it open and stepping inside. Sapnap was still on the bed as you had left him, though now he was sitting up, leaning against the wall. He perked up as the door opened, giving you that shy smile as you stepped in, eyeing the plate of food in your hand. 

"I brought you some lunch." You said. "And some ice, as well. Anne said it would do you some good to get the swelling down."

"If the doctor says so." Sapnap joked. 

You set down the plate you had brought him (Perkins had whipped up an extra of something of one of the customers orders and set it aside for you to bring up) where he could reach it, and sat down on the bed beside him, still holding the ice bag. "Ankle?"

Sapnap put the plate down in his lap and swung his bad foot up onto the bed, resting it just next to your lap. 

"I'm going to wrap the ice to it." You said, picking up his foot to rest it in your lap fully, trying to find the end of the bandage. "You can always take it off when it gets melty, but I want it to stay tight on there."

Sapnap just grunted, too busy shoveling food into his mouth.

You got to work, unwrapping the bandages somewhat. Underneath the layers Anne had tucked into place, his ankle already looked so much better. The splint was obviously helping - it was no longer at a slight angle. You took the bag of ice you had brought with you and molded it around his ankle, careful not to press too much or agitate the wound. Sapnap still winced at the cold touch, his leg twitching.

"Sorry." You said. 

"S'fine." Sapnap said. "It's just cold."

"Well," You huffed out something of a laugh. "It did just come from the icebox."

Sapnap grinned, ducking his head slightly as he finished cleaning off the plate you had brought him. 

You turned back to the work in front of you, re-wrapping the bandages to hold the bag of ice in place. You pulled as tight as you could without hurting Sapnap too much, and when you were done, the bag was secure. The bulge around his ankle looked a little funny, but it was all for the greater good in the end - ice would only help the healing process. 

You let Sapnap pull his foot back into a more comfortable position as he finished off his lunch. For a moment, the room was quiet, only the soft sounds of Sapnap eating permeating the air. As you watched him from the corner of your eye, your curiosity flared. You knew virtually nothing about this man, and you couldn't say in good conscience that you weren't wondering just how he had found his way to your backdoor. 

"You keep lookin' at me." 

You broke out of your train of thought to see Sapnap looking at you, a curious sort of grin on his face. His plate was completely clean now, and he set it down on the nighttable beside the bed. 

"Sorry," You said, heat rising to your face. "Um. Can you hear the piano from up here?"

Sapnap's face lit up when you asked and he nodded. "I can. I've been listening to you play all day - you're really good."

"Oh, thank you." You  said, smiling at the praise. "I'm glad that you weren't stuck up here completely bored."

"Not at all." Sapnap said. "Between the piano and watchin' the town center outside the window, I've been plenty entertained."

"That's good to hear." You said. 

The room fell silent for another moment and you turned your attention out the window across the room. It was a pretty good view of the town center. You hadn't really thought too much about it before since you normally spent most of your time downstairs during the day, but you could clearly see the town square from here. 

Your gaze drifted away from the window and down to the plate Sapnap had set aside. You leaned over, grabbing it before you rose from where you had been sitting on the other side of the bed, hovering for a moment. "I should probably head back down."

"Right." Sapnap said, shifting against the wall. He sounded a little upset that you were leaving, although you supposed he would have been happy with any company after hours alone. 

"I'll be back up later to check on the ice. And with dinner." You said, heading over to the door. 

You were about to leave when Sapnap stopped you, saying, "Play something fast when you get back down there, yeah?"

You hovered, one hand on the door handle, a smile coming across your face. "Sure thing." You said before slipping out the door, letting it close softly behind you. 

The chatter of the saloon was slightly louder out here, and continued to get so as you made your way down the stairs, empty plate in hand. The wooden boards of the steps creaked under your feet, but you payed it no mind, too busy sorting through your mental catalog of songs, searching for something Sapnap might like. 

You had an audience to please, after all.