Chapter 4

Dedicated to Aires12_23

I wake up to an empty bed.
The only thing that greeted me was a note left on the bedside table.

"Gone to work hun, I'll be back tonight. Your things are in the closet."

Oh.

I look at my phone to see that it was 8am.
Oh shit, I'm gonna be late for work.

I shower which took a fairly long time because of all the buttons in there.
I put on my uniform and try to find the kitchen. I don't quite remember from lastnight.

I was turning the corner when I bumped into something, or someone rather.

"Good morning ma'am" she says. She was dressed in a black dress with a white apron.

"You work here right?" I ask and she nods while looking down at the floor.

"Can you show me the way to the kitchen?" She nods again.

She leads me to the kitchen doorway and points for me to go in. I can see Vincents back from here as he works over the stove.

"Thank you, what's your name?" I ask and she looks taken aback.
Just like Vincent when I told him thank you yesterday.

How strange.

"Mimi ma'am" she says nervously.

"I'm Martina" I say and she nods then walks off.

I walk into the kitchen and Vincent turns to look at me.

"Morning" I say.

"Ok" he answers.

Seriously? Who responds ok when told good morning?

He turns his back to me once again and turns back to the stove.

"I'm not eating breakfast, I'm gonna be late for work" I say to him.

He shrugs and continued cooking.
I shake my head and head out the door.

I breathe a sigh of relief when I see my car in the driveway. He must have brought it here last night.
I get in and make my way to work.

●●●

I get to work just in time. Damn that car can go fast. I see Pierson and go to hug her.
She moves away from me.
"Aunty wants to talk to you" she says.

"Umm ok. What's wrong?"

She just shrugs.
What's up with her?

I make my way to Barbaras office and see her sitting at her desk, typing on her laptop.

"You asked for me?" I say and she gestures for me to sit.

She takes a deep breath." Martina, you're fired" she says, getting right to the point.

"Fired? But I-"

"Sorry Mart, you can't work for me anymore"

"But, what did I do?" I was starting to get frustrated. How can I get fired when I didn't do anything.

"Sorry, but I'm gonna need that" she points to my nametag. "You can bring the uniform back tomorrow"

I take my nametag off and hand it to her. This job was the last bit of independence I had. I was making my own money and now...

I walk out of Barbaras office not even telling her bye.

On my way out of the restaurant, I see Pierson again. She looks at me and sighs. I roll my eyes and step out of my resturant.