Day 28 (chapter-20-)

Day 28

Adrien held tightly to his journal in his office. He took it with him everywhere as a reminder to think about the morning’s issued love dare throughout the day. He hadn’t been doing it as long as Marinette, but he did swear to do the dares to the best of his ability for her. He was determined to uphold that promise.

“Love makes sacrifices,” he mumbled, looking over the dare and thinking just what he could do today to meet that goal.

Or, to use Kagami’s terms, what he could do to strike that target.

A knock came at his door.

“Yes?”

Kagami entered. “Hey, you made it today.”

“Yeah, barely,” Adrien said.

“Back still hurts?”

Adrien nodded. “Surprisingly.”

“You must have tweaked it really bad.”

“Must have,” Adrien agreed. “As long as it goes away, that’s all I care about.”

Kagami nodded. “It will, soon enough.”

There was a pause.

“Was there anything else you wanted, Kagami?”

Kagami paused, glancing down at his hands. “I—"

There was another knock on the door. Thinking it must be a student, Adrien called them in.

Only for Marinette to appear in the doorway.

Adrien’s heart leapt at the smile she shot him. However, when her eyes locked on Kagami, he suddenly wondered just how dangerous it was having two very powerful, very assertive women in the same room.

Particularly when they had already faced off.

“Sweetheart,” Adrien greeted, hoping to disperse the tension between them. “What a pleasant surprise.”

Marinette’s shoulders immediately relaxed as she looked over at him. “I brought you lunch,” Marinette said, holding up a bag with a grin while walking over to him.

“You didn’t have to. I packed a lunch.”

“I also brought IcyHot patches and the heating pad for you. Your coach told you to take care of that back injury.”

He grinned down at her, a warm and fuzzy feeling filling him, but suddenly remembered there was someone else in the room. “Forgive me, Kagami,” he began. “But have you met my wife, Marinette?” He slipped an arm around her waist, hand resting on her hip. Mostly, it was to hold her there because he’d seen his lady in action. He may not have seen the face-off between these two women, but knowing these women as he did, he knew it could not have been pretty.

Kagami frowned. “I can’t say I have. I was unaware you were married.”

Marinette shifted in his hold, meaning he tightened his grip on her. Even Adrien felt his smile strain at her words. He knew by Marinette’s journal that Kagami thought he was only dating, but that was his fault for not wearing his ring. To think that that might have affected what advice she’d given him. Worse yet, to think he was close to following it…