Day 3 (chapter-6-)

Day 3

“Love is not selfish. Whatever you invest time, money, and effort into will become what is important to you. So along with not saying anything negative, invest into your relationship by getting Adrien something that says, ‘I was thinking of you.’”

________

“Hi Maman.”

“Marinette!” Her maman was quick to wrap Marinette in a hug. “How is everything?”

“Rough,” Marinette admitted. “As usual.”

Her mother gave her a pitying look. “I’m sorry, sweetheart. All marriages have rough patches, and it’s up to the two of you to work it out. And I’m sure Gabriel’s passing hasn’t been easy on Adrien.”

“It’s like he’s a whole new man,” Marinette admitted. “And I don’t know what to do.”

“Keep working,” her maman assured. “No marriage survives if it’s not worked on.”

I got it. And I’m trying. “I actually stopped by to grab some pastries to take home.”

“Adrien will appreciate it, I’m sure,” Maman said as she immediately put a box together. “We couldn’t keep him out of these when you two first got married.”

Marinette smiled. “I know. I was hoping to surprise him when he got home.”

“He’ll appreciate it,” her maman assured, placing a full box in her hands. “And keep working. You and Adrien are a good match.”

As much as it hurt her heart, Marinette forced a smile and nodded. “I know. I’ll keep it in mind.”

 _________

Adrien was tired, to say the least. The day had been extraordinarily long and draining because on top of all his work, he had to train Ms. Tsurugi in, well, everything. She was a quick learner, which made the process easier. Clearly, he’d made a good choice.

“We’ve met before, actually,” Ms. Tsurugi told him when they were heading out for the day. “I applied for this job because I remember fighting you in the youth nationals. You happened to win that time.”

Adrien frowned. “When? I’m trying to remember.”

“I’d say seven years ago.”

Adrien fought to remember. “The girl in the red uniform.”

Ms. Tsuguri smiled. “Yes. I remember admiring how talented you were back then. And you still are. You haven’t lost your touch.”

“And you certainly haven’t lost yours,” Adrien returned. “You’re incredibly skilled.”

“Thank you. I work hard to be.”

“It shows.”

Ms. Tsurugi smiled. “I would enjoy talking more if you have the time.”

Adrien paused, debating if he really wanted to go back home at all. In the end, it was his fatigue that won out. “Maybe another time. I’m exhausted from the day. Maybe lunch sometime soon?”