Chapter 2 - Escape

Maggie sat and admired the car while she waited for Zemo. She had driven the car into the back alley of the prison, where Zemo was meeting her when, or if, he escaped. Maggie had talked him through the plan when she visited him inside and he seemed intelligent enough to pull it off. He was quite confused when she came into his cell and started talking to him about breaking out, but he seemed to get he shouldn't mess with this woman.

Just then, the man stormed out of the heavy metal door, and Maggie started the engine of the car. She could hear some yelling from the inside and assumed everything went according to plan: getting the guards distracted by the prisoners while Zemo made his way out.

The car door swung open as Zemo stepped inside, not even sparing Maggie a glance. She pressed the speeder and drove out of the small alley unnoticed. It was first when they had been in the car for several minutes that Zemo turned his head to look at the woman next to him. He was confused as to why and how she knew The Winter Soldier. Zemo knew a great deal about HYDRA, their soldiers, and many of their codes, but not once did the files mention her.

Maggie could feel the intense stare on her as she drove and finally broke the silence between the two, "could you stop staring at me?" she said with a rather angry voice while she quickly turned her head to give him a look. Zemo was only intrigued more when she looked at him and decided he might as well ask her a few questions.

"How do you know The Winter Soldier?" He spoke in his Sokovian accent.

"That's none of your concern."  Maggie showed no emotion, as she was taught, although she was on her own now, she still couldn't get rid of many of her habits from HYDRA. All she could hope for was that he would shut up, so the already-building feeling of throwing him out of the car wouldn't get worse.

Zemo didn't want to stop and wasn't planning on it either and since he knew she was instructed to keep him alive in order to find the Flag-Smasher, he didn't worry nearly as much as he should about getting killed by her. Little did he know that Maggie was on both sides and would do anything to protect Karli. She didn't believe that Bucky and Sam would find Karli, and if they did, they wouldn't do anything to her, at least not if Maggie was there to protect her. 

"Where are we going?"

Maggie sighed, knowing that she might as well answer the question since it wasn't personal nor relevant info that he could use for his benefit since they would be moving around Europe for a while.

"We're going to an abandoned warehouse, not that it matters." Maggie didn't want to have a conversation with this guy, but it seemed like he had a different plan. Yes, he had been in prison for a while, but she couldn't care less about his well-being. If the information Zemo had about the serum wasn't so important, she would have killed him the second he opened his mouth, but she wanted to have Bucky as an ally for as long as possible. Although with her short temper, she slightly doubted if she could convince herself to keep him in the car. 

Zemo opened his mouth to start talking again but Maggie quickly interrupted before he began, "just to make it clear, the only reason you're not dead is since the Winter soldier, or whatever you wanna call him, instructed me to bring you to him alive, so I'm planning on doing that."

"And why would I be dead if he hadn't instructed you to do so?" He asked, not really caring about what she said, considering he didn't expect her to be the deadly assassin she was.

"Because the second you opened that mouth of yours and started to speak, it got on my nerves. I got a short temper, and you're not helping."

"And what would you do, you're not exactly a powerful fighter," Zemo said, even though he probably knew there was something special about her, when it was her who was instructed to bring him She sighed, knowing how hard HYDRA tried to keep her hidden from the world. It must have been somewhat successful since Zemo didn't know who she was. Hydra did have files on her, but they were all paper, so they were most likely long gone.

"For your information, I worked for HYDRA for most of my life, so, keep your mouth shut and DONT underestimate me!" Zemo was happy with her little outburst since it resulted in Maggie giving him some info on her past life. It may not have been much, but knowing she worked for HYDRA could be very valid info, but he would have to wait with the details for later.

When the car came to a stop, Maggie stormed out, eager to get away from the man sitting next to her. Bucky had come out, nearly being knocked over by Maggie walking inside, confused as to why the woman stormed inside when Zemo sat perfectly still in the car, not moving a finger.

Bucky walked over to the passenger side and opened the door, startling Zemo a bit from the sudden anger in him "What did you do?" he yelled, thinking Zemo had done something to make her so angry. "I asked her how she knew you," Zemo stated simply. Bucky didn't quite believe him but didn't feel the urge to press on the matter more. He just dragged him inside a small room. The only opening in the small space was some large plastic curtains you see in a car shop. Maggie leaned up against a wall, not looking happy about the situation.

"If that was all you wanted me to do, I'll be on my way," she said, wanting to go back to her small apartment as soon as possible. "Actually, Maggie, I was hoping you could join us in finding this serum?" Bucky asked, hoping that he could get her out in the world a little more instead of just sitting inside all day. He knew she didn't fear people recognizing her since no one knew of all the horrible things she had done, but he knew Maggie wasn't always able to control herself once she started fighting.

"No," she stated simply. Maggie did want to go, mainly for the adventure, but many things could go wrong. Bucky would also most likely find out about her little secret relationship with Karli.

"You have nothing to do, stop sitting in that little apartment of yours and come with us. If it's because of Zemo, then we'll keep him away from you" Bucky sounded desperate. He wanted her to join their small 'team' since she could help them a lot.

Maggie didn't understand why Bucky was desperate to get her on the team. Yes, she was good at fighting, but so was Bucky. But there was one thing he was right about: she didn't have anything better to do, actually, she had nothing to do at all. She didn't care much about Zemo, she could easily avoid him, even if they would be living together. HYDRA had trained her in that, ignore everyone. They didn't want her to give information, so it was better if she just kept her mouth shut.

"Give me one good reason," she stated, wanting to go but still debating with herself if it was a good idea.

"You get to do something good and put your past behind you," Bucky said. Hoping that would get her to go with them. He knew how much she wanted to forget her past, much like himself, but it was hard for her. She wasn't doing any good in the world, so all she would think was that she's a monster.

He could see that she hesitated for a moment, debating with herself whether to go or not. After a little while of silence, her body relaxed a bit, and she accepted his offer. Just then, they all heard another metal door slam shut.

Bucky rushed out to the person, probably Sam, Maggie thought. They started yelling a little at each other, and Maggie could hear it was about Zemo. She could hear Sam wanted Zemo to stay in prison, but Bucky kept arguing about it, probably trying to calm him down a little before he found out that Zemo was just in the room next to them.

Zemo started walking over to the big plastic curtains, and Maggie did nothing to stop him. She didn't care what he did, nor was she responsible for it. Zemo walked out to the two men, and they kept arguing, so much that Maggie had to come to the rescue and stop all of the yellings before they started to kill each other.

"Ohhh no no no, was she in on this. Of course, she was, why was I so stupid. You wanted help breaking him out of prison, but you knew I would be against it, so you contacted her. What's next?" Sam yelled, obviously not happy with the situation he was in.

"Well, next we get Zemo to help us, and she is joining us," he pointed at Maggie, and she got a little annoyed, not wanting to join this argument.

"Yeah, right, okay. Anything else?"

"No."

"Then let's get moving so he can get back to prison as soon as possible."

-

-

-

A/N: Heyyy babes! Hope you like the story so far. Don't worry I will go into detail about Maggie's past, both with Karli and HYDRA but for now, I hope you like it.