🌧 - sidelines

Ships: you'll have to see :) (they aren't the main focus anyway) 

Genre/mood: angst, not too sure on this one  

trigger warning(?) - depersonalization/derealization; i'm not the most educated with this sensation so i'm not sure if this could be triggering to anyone. just taking a precaution by saying this in advance 

also i'm really sorry for writing this, my imagination went kinda wild near the end and i didn't really know what i was doing for this oneshot. also also, i read it over and realized the plot was moving at, quite literally, the speed of light, so apologies for that. 

A sunny, warm day. The perfect weather to have gym class outside. 

A fellow student watches two teenagers bicker on a lone bench near the field. Though they were too far away to be easily heard, she could assume their conversation topic was a follow up to a prior event. 

Hailey and Zander. They usually were on good terms, but Hailey seems almost angry when she walks away from her brother. She hears Zander mumble to himself, "That's exactly why I can't tell him," as she makes her way to him. 

It would just be a quick word of encouragement, and she would go play baseball. A quick sentence, and she would leave him be. 

"I just wanted to let you know...that I'm cheering you on." 

She expected him to stay silent, and she would be on her way. She walks only a few steps before he responds, hints of defiance and confusion in his tone. 

"I'm not playing." 

"Right," she says, astounded that he bothered to talk to her, "you're not." 

"And? Why are you cheering me on for, then?" 

She looks back at him, nodding her head over at the field, in the direction Luke was. 

"I'll say this again. I'm not playing," he states coldly, looking back down to the open book in his hands. 

She should have walked away. Save herself from public humiliation. But she knew something was different. People would always shut up after she said a single thing to them, and that was all she was known for. When did the script turn a page without her knowing? 

"Listen, I know how much you love Luke." 

Was it a mistake to say that? 

"Luke?" 

"Yeah." 

A blanket of awkward silence lays over the awkward tension. Someone calls her name in the distance, but she doesn't move. 

"Haven't heard of him," he says nonchalantly, his eyes still scanning the words in his book. 

"But you do...you two were supposed...to..." 

"Am I supposed to know this person?" 

"Yes! I mean, I thought you two..." 

"I'm taken." 

"Already?" she blurts out, wanting to bite her tongue, and clamp her jaw shut. 

He stands up. "Uh, yeah? I think you've mistaken Drew for this Luke guy." 

Drew? 

She puts a hand to her temple, trying to comprehend where she could have altered anything, when everything changed. Her mind was racing, trying to put the pieces together.