Chapter 10

16/04/2024

I finish entering the marks of my students in the Assessment Register and secure the register and the answer sheets in a cover

I finish entering the marks of my students in the Assessment Register and secure the register and the answer sheets in a cover. I slowly slide the chair back and get up from it. I walk to the living room and place the cover next to my bag so that I don't forget to take them while leaving for school tomorrow.

After completing my M.Sc., I joined B.Ed., and am now working as a Physics teacher in my old school. Once I passed my B.Ed., my first application was to the school where I studied from kindergarten to Higher Secondary.

The school has changed a lot in the nine years. My Principal had become the Correspondent, and my Social Studies teacher had become the Principal. Top of all, the co-ed until fifth and only girls till higher secondary school has completely changed into Co-Education.

I guess the girls belonging to the batch that passed out until three years ago are the unluckiest ones.

My Correspondent and Principal teased me when I went for the job interview, recollecting my antics during my school days. Still, I was hired as the Physics teacher for the Secondary School kids. I was now working there for the past year. The music from the In-Built MP3 player of the refrigerator brings a smile on my face.

I go near the kitchen, and I lean against the entrance frame, crossing my arms against my chest. Listening to the music, the one person, whom on seeing I should have ran the opposite side, is chopping veggies for breakfast. Thinking about the time we met always brings up a mixture of emotions.

Nearly five years ago, when Guru visited our college as the Chief Guest for the Founder's Day celebration, I had to welcome him and do an interview session with him. He is the co-founder of Knack Cyber Security Agency which helps the city police in fighting cybercrimes. And I had to question him based on various cyber issues that the current generation faces.

After the program ended, I was assigned to direct him to the guest dining room for his lunch. Though I was acting as nothing had happened, my insides were running millions of miles with confusion.

While I was arranging the table for him, he started his conversation by clearing his throat.

"Miss...Pooja, right?"

"Yes, sir," I replied, looking at him for that brief second and directed my concentration back to arranging the table.

"You can call me, Guru."

I just nodded my head, and he asked me, "Will you be having lunch with us?"

I opened to my mouth to say no.

"Pooja," I turned to the entrance as I heard my Principal's voice, "You, please have lunch with him, dear. I'll join you both in a while."

"Ma'am, but my friends are waiting for me."