Chapter 11

Without any thought I try to hop off the kitchen counter, instead of my feet touching the ground, I'm floating on air. I turn to my side and see Guru carrying me in his arms again.

"What were you thinking, Pooja? What could have happened if I didn't notice?" He scolds me as he lands me safely back on the ground.

"Sorry mama," I hug him, and he hugs me back

"You have to be careful, Ma. Not just one, but including yours, three lives are depending on your actions." He cups my face, and his face turns concerned as he notices the tears welling my eyes. "What happened, baby?"

I turn my eyes toward the refrigerator, and his gaze follows mine, "It's Vedhika's birthday tomorrow," I tell him.

His face frowns in confusion before the realization hits him. "Sorry, baby, come, let's go and sit in the living room."

A couple of weeks after our love confessions in January 2020, the coronavirus outbreak shook the entire world. Until mid of March, when the classes for schools and colleges were canceled, Guru and I were meeting, and he also took me to his home. Though I told him about him being the serial killer in my dream, I forgot to mention the other things from my dream.

When we became friends and fell in love, I thought the dream was an intimation about our relationship. In the last week of March, the national lockdown was announced. At the beginning of April, Rachel teasingly posted a status about the worst timing of the ones who were born in this month, as they won't be able to celebrate their birthday.

Then on 17th April, Ved's birthday came, and I wished her. We chatted for her while regarding the work from home scenario, and the virus spread around our localities. Three weeks later, again, in the first week of May, Rachel posted a status that left everyone one of our UG friends and classmates in great shock.

The post contained a photo of her and Ved standing together and the text bearing the news of Vedhika's demise. When I contacted Rachel, she said that Vedhika passed away that afternoon with a Cardiac Arrest. Everyone couldn't believe it as how a person in such an age had a cardiac arrest.

Many, including my mom, my school friends, and Guru, asked whether she had any ailments before, but I had no answers. Rachel was the only one who knew everything, and she was not ready to talk. After all, she was the closest one to Ved.

A few days after Ved's death, when I was talking with my mom about her, I remembered the dream of mine. It was the worst dream, and I interpreted wrongly about it. After that, I suffered from insomnia in fear of dreaming again. Mom and Guru were overly concerned about me. After every 'good morning' message, his next question will be when did I sleep.

Exactly after 42 days, I built up my courage and messaged Rachel, as I could not take it anymore and thought she would be ready to talk now. Rachel replied after two hours.

Me: Hi

Me: There?

Rachel: Yeah

Me: How r u doing?

Rachel: Ya am fine.. how r u

Me: Fine too

Me: If u don't mind, can I ask u something?

Rachel: Ya pls

Me: Did Ved have any prior heart issues??

Rachel: She had SLE problem