Ch. 1 - Her

"DUDE, WE ARE MEETING the foster child after practice today," Nick told me Tuesday morning

"Dang, that was quick," I replied, shoving my bag in my locker.

"Her name is Campbell West, and she's sixteen. She's also in our grade," Nick informed me as I shut my locker.

Before I could say anything, Andy, a guy on the football team, came walking up towards us.

"What up, guys? Are you guys coming to my party after the game Friday? It's going to be awesome," Andy asked us, making Nick look over at me worriedly.

"Nah. We have stuff to do after the game, but you have fun," I lied with a convincing smile.

"You sure? There is going to be a ton of alcohol and hot girls," Andy said with a sly smirk.

My hand started to tremble at the thought of alcohol, but I clutched it in a fist.

"Very sure. Sorry man," Nick apologized, seeing my trembles.

"Alright. I'll see you at practice," Andy told us before walking away.

"Brent, you good?" Nick whispered with concern look.

I nodded,"Yeah."

"You have been doing really good. Don't let your addiction cloud your mind."

"I won't. We better get to class before we're late," I said, trying to convince him that I was fine.

He nodded, and my hand stopped trembling. We walked to our home room, and I plopped down in my seat. We don't do anything home room, so everybody was chatting about their lives.

As I sat there quietly, I thought about the day I gave up my drinking addiction. It was two weeks before school started.

"Brent!" Nick's voice yelled, shaking me.

"Leave me alone," I said, pushing him off.

"What the hell has gotten into you?! What's all this shit?!" Nick exclaimed, making my eyes open. He was looking around my dirty room. There was alcohol bottles everywhere.

I quickly stood up, but every was spinning. I held my temple, trying to concentrate.

"It's nothing, Nicklaus. Now get out of my room," I told him with a glare.

"Don't call me that, Brent," Nick warned before saying,"Is this-" he gestured to the bottles,"-why I haven't seen you in the last couple of weeks? I knew something was wrong, but I knew that you weren't doing anything bad so I left you alone! Guess I was wrong! What the hell happened?!"

I rolled my eyes before saying,"Maya has been cheating on me with different guys. I found her half naked with some loser."

Nick's face softened,"I'm sorry, Brent. Why didn't you come to me?"