Ch. 11 - Decisions

"DO YOU WANT a refill dear?" Mrs

"DO YOU WANT a refill dear?" Mrs. Linda asked me, gesturing to my coffee cup.

I shook my head with a small smile. "No thank you."

"Alright, well, here is the check, and y'all have a great day," Mrs. Linda said with a smile.

Mrs. Linda is a lady who works at Old Town Diner which is a small diner in the middle of town.

Vanessa and I have came here every Saturday to eat breakfast since I started driving my driver's licenses. I always get a coffee and a french toast platter with bacon and eggs while Vanessa gets chocolate milk and a waffle with bacon and eggs.

I paid the bill before leaving a tip on the table for Mrs. Linda like I do every time.

"Do you think Mommy and Daddy miss us?" Vanessa suddenly asked me as I buckled her in her case at in my car.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion on why she would even ask that question.

"Of course they do, buttercup. Why would you even ask that?" I asked her, making her little shoulders shrug.

"Well, there is this big bully named Winston who says otherwise. He says that our Mommy and Daddy aren't ever coming back, and they left us because I'm a tattletale," Vanessa explained as tears welled in her eyes.

My heart broke, and anger boiled in my body. What kind of kid does that to another kid?

I grabbed ahold of her tiny hand,"Nessa, Mommy and Daddy are coming back, I promise."

"But what if they don't? Campbell's Mommy and Daddy aren't with her," Vanessa cried as she tried to wipe her tears away with the sleeve of her mermaid jacket.

"Campbell's parents are........away doing adult stuff whereas our parents are just working."

Campbell's situation is really hard to explain to a four year old who never had to think about being put in foster care. 

"I love you, Breny," Vanessa said, bringing my attention back to her.

"I love you, too, Nessa," I replied before adding,"And if that big ole bully keeps messing with you, just let me know. I'll knock him out for you."

Vanessa broke out into a smile, and I said,"There's that smile."

I shut the door before getting into the driver's seat. Vanessa and I drove home, listening to a Disney soundtrack.

When we arrived home, I noticed that Xavier's car wasn't in the driveway, meaning nobody was home. I parked my car before turning the engine off.

Vanessa was staring out the window as I opened my door. Vanessa unbuckled herself, and I opened her door for her.

It was a chilly morning so Vanessa shivered as we walked up the stairs. I quickly unlocked the front door so I could get her inside the warm house.